// 08 Escape Hybrid Fuel Capacity

08 Escape Hybrid Fuel Capacity

Good Morning,
    Love our new Escape but after owning it 3 months I can still only put 12.3 gallons in an advertised 15 gallon tank even when showing 0 miles to empty. Anybody else notice this???
    Thanks, Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jeb858 View Post
    Good Morning,
    Love our new Escape but after owning it 3 months I can still only put 12.3 gallons in an advertised 15 gallon tank even when showing 0 miles to empty. Anybody else notice this???
    Thanks, Jack
    I have not heard of anyone being able to put 15 gallons in their gas tank-yet. The 0 miles to empty has been designed by Ford to "read" inaccurate as one still has at least 1.3gallons left in their tank. I got this information from posters off another site.

Chuck75

I usually refill my 08 FEH 4wd at around half full. Our neighbor ran out of fuel during a fire evacuation here, so we err on the conservative. A half full tank should take 7.5 to 8 gallons, but I usually fill 6.5 to 7 gallons. Its always nice to have a few miles left when the tank shows empty.

Gas

I put in about 13.5 in my MMH, The manual says 15 gallons, but i believe it is rare to completly empty the tank unles you actually run out of gas. 14 gallons is probably the most you will get in. But when you are full you will have 15 gallons in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    I put in about 13.5 in my MMH, The manual says 15 gallons, but i believe it is rare to completly empty the tank unles you actually run out of gas. 14 gallons is probably the most you will get in. But when you are full you will have 15 gallons in the tank.
    Guys, there is a vapor space built into the gas tank that effects how much fuel will be allowed in the tank. It all depends on how level the FEH/MMH is when you fill it, and if you continue past nozzle shutoff up to the neck. If the rear drivers side is lower than the rest of the vehicle, you will put less gas in. If the passenger side front is the lowest level, you will put more gas in and fill some of the vapor space. If the front passenger side is real low, you can put as much as 17 gallons in the FEH/MMH.

So, if you drove your left rear wheel up on a ramp to raise that end of the FEH/MMH, you could fill the vapor space and exceed the 15 gallons into the tank. The workshop manual shows a diagram of the gas tank and you can see how this is possible.

After I ran out of gas, I determined there was 1.3 gallons left after 0 Miles To Empty. Many people have confirmed my findings since that time. If you put 13.7 gallons in your tank at 0 MTE, you have 15 gallons in the tank. If you put more or less than this, you have more or less than 15 gallons in your tank. I have put 17 gallons in my tank and gone over 200 mile before reaching 3/4 of a tank in the past. Of course this was done getting an average of close to 50mpg in my FWD FEH.

GaryG

Ford escape 2007 1fmcu49h37ka02613

FORD ESCAPE 2007
    VIN: 1FMCU49H37KA02613

http://hitappsworld.com/vin-1fmcu49h37ka02613-ford-escape-2007/
    Last edited by jermuk; 03-09-2014 at 02:13 AM.