// honda civic vs. toyota prius - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

honda civic vs. toyota prius

Actually the Prius and the civic are direct competitors. The Accord is closer to the Hybrid Camry as far as class. Prius and Civic are compacts, and accords and Camrys are mid size.

The higher price structure of the Prius with its option packages was designed by Gulf States Toyota actually and takes a base price similar to that of the civic and turns the Prius into a very expensive vehicle relative to what you get based on material cost of the car.

They are both great cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just bought a 2006 Prius, and my boyfriend drives a 2006 Honda Civic. There is no doubt, both cars have alot to offer to whomever purchases them. I think Honda is sharp/sporty looking, and I think the Prius is unique/futuristic looking. For me, I chose the Prius because I found it to be more comfortable then the Civic, the resale value is tremendous, and the interior is appealing. The Prius actually makes you aware of your driving habits because you can monitor your gas milage as you are driving with the multi function display. I also like the style of the car, it's different. Hpwever, I think the Civic is a great car too - and both cars promote conservation and reliabilty. You just can't go wrong no matter what you chose.

To me, comparing the cars is like comparing life in New York State and California. I'm from NY, but lived out in California for a while and when people would ask me "Do you think California is better then New York?" I would always say, "Not better, just different."

I just want to address what everyone has been saying about the "real world" driving. I own a 2005 Prius, and while the mileage is not 60 mpg, I consistently get in the high 50's on a tank, and I do about half my driving on the highways. The way I drive it does affect this, I will admit, but there is no significant change in my habits. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll slow down an little and go the speed limit or maybe just below. If not, I'll go my usual 5 over.

A quick note to anyone concidering purchasing a hybrid. The Prius was designed from the ground up AS a hybrid. All the other cars (with the exception of the rolling-matchbox insight) are just regular cars with a hybrid engine thrown in. Personally, I have a lot more trust in a well designed system vs. the result of a company jumping on the band wagon.

I would also have to agree with the previous messages on space. I am 6'5 and my wife is 6' and we both fit in the front and back seats of the Prius with no problems. I am still amazed at the room and comfort I have.

I love my Prius and wouldn't trade it for anything else. The amount of money it has saved me over my old car is very impressive. Not only did I not have to sacrifice to get great gas mileage, I've actually come out ahead.

I have had my 2006 Prius for 2 months now. I have averaged 46.1 MPG. I find that I do get better mileage on the highway, even though the Prius is rated to be better for city driving - perhaps Boston city driving is cursed. I believe that the number one reason that I have been able to achieve this mileage is the real-time computer monitor that tracks the five minute intervals MPG. I have also become more attuned to road and traffice conditions, as well as topography. I like elements of both cars, but needed more flexibility with a hatchback. I also think that the Prius provides more amenities for gadget people. I must admit, however, that I have still not spent any time figuring out the nav system. I was more interested in the additional safety features that came with that package.

I just bought an 2006 HCH with navigation system. They are hard to get in the SF Bay Area, demand is high, and the wait can be 6 weeks to 3 months. But I called all the local dealers, found the only one with Nav, and ran over there and drove it away. The person who ordered it never picked it up. If you ordered one - go get it the minute you get the call! The dealer told me they wait only 48 hours for a response/pick up, then they sell it.

I love this car! It's comfortable, economical, nice to drive, nice control panel, good visibility, *much* more powerful than I expected, and looks great. It's programmed for lots of verbal commands - it's fun saying "air conditioner on!" and having the AC start up. And so much safer than looking for the buttons/swtiches. Very futuristic. I didn't like the rear window visibility in the Prius and thought it could be dangerous.
    The HCH is my commute car (100 miles a day). I have the stickers to drive in the commute lane, but even the commute lane can have sections of crawling at 5-10 mph. I'm getting about 50mpg and am well satisfied.

I test drove both of these cars this past Saturday. I took my 3 children along to be sure they could fit in the back. Both are great cars. The honda civic won my kids over in a flash. They liked it much better then the Prius because the Civic has a completely flat rear floor. There is no hump to put you legs around. I like the Civi dashboard design better then than the Prious and I loved its Navigation system. I also liked the Civic's lower Price and its styling. However, when I drove the car, I noticed that at highway speeds the steering seemed "twitchy" or over reactive. Everything else was great. When I test drove the Prius, I noticed it had more room in both front and rear but it did not have a flat rear floor. I didn't like the shifter and the smart key start and park buttons seemed unecessary. The rear view out the back was fine even without the camera, of course I am coming from an SUV and a full size Van. The Prius drove great, no twitchy steering. In addition, I think in my stop and go driving the electric only option will be a great help. I also like the rear fold down seats though I doubt I will use this option much. As to which one I like best, I think they are both great but I lean towards the Prius. With the difference in the tax credit amount the Prius is not much more than the Civic. However, if the Civic dealer gives me a great deal or the Prius was unavailable, I would buy the Civic. Now that the Hybrid Camry is coming out, I might wait for that...

In time, you might come to love the Smart entry/start. When we got ours, I thought it was frivolous. After some time, I have realized how nice it is to never have to dig my keys out of my pocket to open the door or start the car. I definitely want it on my next vehicle.

Both great cars and enjoyed driving both. I got 51 MPG even coming back from SAn ANtonio tofay with two stops and airconditioning on. HCH II.

Anyway, I didnt care for a lot of the warning beeps and such in the Prius as well as the car/tire energy flow diagram on the Prius. Too much like a video game for me. Also, the Honda isnt as tall and has a wider wheel base relative to its height making it more stable to drive. In addition, structurally the Honda is the safer car in an accident. The Prius improves on the structural vulnerability issues with air bags and is safe but still doesnt catch the Honda in safety.

I dont like the fact that the DTRs are always on in the HCH II and would prefer a switch myself. I do not know what the DTR status is on the Prius but would be interested in finding out. DTR= daytime running lights.

I test drove the 2007 Toyota Camry non-hybrid and its a good car for sure. Initial real mileage reports show it getting only 30 MPGs though, despite its 40 MPG rating.

On the engineering side, the HCH II engine is really quite an accomplishment. The more I drive it and see how the car and motors/ICE respond to driving conditions the more I realize how ell though out the car really is. The Prius is well designed too, but the Honda does use a newer thought process redesigned within only the past couple of years.

My understanding from Toyota is that they will redesign the Prius within the next few years. Here in Houston, there are no HCH IIs on any lots but you can get a Prius at several Toyota locations. Not unexpected since many more Priuses are being made right now.

If you are in Canada, you will save about $5,400 buying the base Honda over the base Prius. Toyota is ripping off it's customers.

I bought a new '06 HCH in February, after driving BOTH the 06 Prius and an 06 HCH, over a 20 mile stretch of give and take, but good quality blacktop back roads near Medford, Oregon.
    The HCH handles FAR better than the Prius, and frankly is not so "in your face" green. I also RACE--autocross and hillclimb in a very fast, very modified Saab Sonett V4 coupe--so I am interested in how ANY car I own handles in an emergency situation. Avoidance handling. Emergency lane change, that sort of thing--NOT race track handling.
    The HCH, when asked to perform a 40 mph full G-force avoidance maneauver, simply hunkers down, and makes the maneauver, aided by adding full throttle at the proper moment to stabilize the car. When I asked the Prius to do the same maneauver, at the same point on the road, it leaned over [suggesting that perhaps roller skates on the door handles might be in order], the engine SHUT DOWN when I asked it for full throttle, and some stupid bells began to ding at me in the cabin. EXACTLY what you need in an emergency situation? I think not. An engineering DUMB solution to the perception that nobody knows how to actually DRIVE a car. Well I DO know how, and I know that the HCH can be relied upon to do the right things if I have to avoid some moron in a HUMMER. The Prius designers have not done anyone any favors in the SAFETY handling department.
    Incidentaly, my fuel mileage figures--city average-43.5, highway average 47.6 [rolling 75mph, along with the hot dogs in their SUV's].
    I keep waiting for the DOWNside of this Honda Civic Hybrid. So far--its all UP.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast