// how to tell HCH engine from vin?

how to tell HCH engine from vin?

does anyone know how to tell which engine the civic has: the .3YCV- california, better emmision vs the .33A6 all state version from the VIV number??. the epa.gov/greenvehicles site says they're using 2 different engines- my dealer knows zippy-do-dah about this, and since I am in NY does offer california emmisions cars. they have a KL in the dealer list but it's not part of the VIN- does anyone know if it is part of the VIN.??? I have a deposit on a HCH thats due in, but I'd really like to make sure it's got the better emmisions (if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right) and not get stuck with a nj or ct car. as of now, we could only tell by a "pollution index" sticker on the window.
    couldn't find a sticker under the hood (like honda says) and there wasn't anything on the new car window sticker either.
    sorry this is so long! can't believe I had to edjicate the dealer!
    thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I agree. I have a nice "AT-PZEV" decal on my window (it's a California car), but I can't find the engine number anywhere under the hood or inside the door.

Okay, I think I found it. If you open the hood, there is a sticker on the underside of the hood which says "Vehicle Emission Control Information". On that sticker, if you look hard enough, about half way down and slightly to the right, in the midst of a bunch of numbers, is the engine number (in my case, ".3YCV"). I have no idea what all the other stuff means.

thanks chuck,
    I was beginning to think I was insane about this whole 2 version of the engine thing. sounds like you got the 'good' engine! I have to go back to my dealer and look under the hoods again. (my car's not in yet) we looked once, and didn't see any stickers - I'll try again.
    do you have an auto or stick? how's your mpg?

I have the automatic, and over the winter I am getting 42-45 in the city and 48-52 on the highway. I am absolutely enjoying everything about this car.

OK- went back to the dealer and looked under both hoods of the HCHs he has on lot; a grey standard & a blue auto. turns out they both are the 3YCV engines. further investigation on the epa.gov site shows me that the 3YCV engine is the 'regular' hybrid 1.3 liter SOHC 8-valve engine. That makes the 33A6 the lean burn "iDSI" engine. strangely enough the 3YCV engine has a better smog rating than the "lean burn" 33A6.
    still haven't determined whether or not the engine is in the VIN - but the sticker is under the hood so I can tell which engine that'a'way. don't know the avalibility or distribution of the 33A6 engine - I'm in NY- does anyone out there have one? what are the 4th thru 8th digits of your VIN?
    the auto 3YCV is ES966 the standard is ES956 (2005)

my car is still not arrived - was told it would be here last week. I'm impatient to get it and see how well I do mpg wise. if I wanted to wait, I'd have got on the waiting list to order a escape!

I want to punch this model by vin number

Now no one needs to be persuaded to find out the vin history of the car. If you want to buy a car or often check the vin number it is better to use the service Epicvin which will show you the entire history of the car in one click