2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Wrench Light- Any more ideas?

I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid, new to me. Wrench light and \\\"Service soon\\\" message is coming on intermittently, turns off when I restart. Usually goes away with a restart. Does not seem to change drivability. Seems to happen more on warm days. Changed the blend door actuator, did not seem to make a difference. Looks like coolant is flowing in the hybrid cooling reservoir. Sounds like battery fans running when I open the battery filter door and remove filter. Took it to Ford Dealer to read code when light is lit, no code. The \\\"hybrid guy\\\" was not there so they did not check the codes in the hybrid system, so I would have to bring this back. Any suggestions about what it could be? I am thinking of buying another blend door actuator and changing that again in case I got a bad one. Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Jdd

Quote Originally Posted by crblog View Post
    I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid, new to me. Wrench light and \\\\\\\"Service soon\\\\\\\" message is coming on intermittently, turns off when I restart. Usually goes away with a restart. Does not seem to change drivability. Seems to happen more on warm days. Changed the blend door actuator, did not seem to make a difference. Looks like coolant is flowing in the hybrid cooling reservoir. Sounds like battery fans running when I open the battery filter door and remove filter. Took it to Ford Dealer to read code when light is lit, no code. The \\\\\\\"hybrid guy\\\\\\\" was not there so they did not check the codes in the hybrid system, so I would have to bring this back. Any suggestions about what it could be? I am thinking of buying another blend door actuator and changing that again in case I got a bad one. Any other ideas?
    With my Merc. Mariner (Escape with different labels) 08 Hybrid, I started seeing the wrench light which in most cases went off if I stopped and restarted. Only once in probably 20 times did it say that I should pull over and stop.
    I started with the blend door which didn't help. I then replaced each of the larger relays in the fuse box under the hood, one at a time, which didn't help either. By the way the new relays are about $35.00. Apparently they are beefier than the originals.
    I finally took it to the dealer while the light was on and had them read the codes. If you have not seen it on other post, these codes are only available when the light is on.
    The dealer found three error codes, none of which were accurate, so he reprogrammed the system with the updated software. That was two days ago and I have not seen the wrench since. Apparently I could have kept changing parts and never solved it. The service cost me just under $300.00.
    I resisted taking it in because I can do most repairs myself and didn't think it was quite right to have them only read the codes so that I could do the repairs. You could consider that justified though since only the Ford factory code reader will read those codes.
    I hope this helps and you don't have to go through the weeks of parts changing that I did.
    JDD

Well, that lasted about a day before the light came on again. It had been happening almost every morning and then not again for that day once I restarted. I will take it back to the dealer later this week, see what the codes are and post an update. By the way, my hybrid has over 144,00 miles on it with few problems so I am not too concerned yet.
    JDD