// How Often Do You Change Cars?

How Often Do You Change Cars?

How often do you change cars?
    Do you get a newer car every time the loan is paid out?

Do you drive it "into the ground"?

what year is your car now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm not changing cars until

I'm not changing cars until I get one with a plug that doesn't require the use of gasoline to go on the freeway.

really? :) then you better

really?

then you better do some serious maintenance on your current car, because it's going to take some time before this happens

Florentin, Have some faith

Florentin,
    Have some faith my friend. Most of the major auto manufacturers have announced vehicles for 2010 that don't require any kind of fossil fuels.
    Tesla and ACP are already shipping EVs.
    There are also a host of startups (Miles, ACP, Phoenix, Aptera, Zero, EVC, Commutercars, Hybridtechnologies, etc) that are making progress and I've got deposits down on several of them.
    If any of these come through, I'm covered.
    If I was truly desperate, I could go with a conversion or buy the RAV4EV that's on Ebay now but I figure I'm better off waiting for something with a promising future.
    I'll let you know when I'm oil free :-)

I keep a car as long as it

I keep a car as long as it is good to me. I have been a VW person all my life so my cars tend to last pretty long, and I really do hate to part with them, even if it appears they have seen better days.

I get kind of attached to my

I get kind of attached to my cars, so I keep them as long as they are reliable (well, usually somewhat past that!). This has usually meant about 10 years and 200,000 km (125,000 miles). My current car (Honda Accord) is now at 11 years and 228,000 km. I've been thinking of a new vehicle for a year or so, and was pondering a hybrid (which is why I joined this group) but there wasn't one that really grabbed me (Prius was closest, so I was waiting for the new model). Long story short, the economy blew up so I took myself out of the new car market, and put $2000 work into my Accord to hopefully make it reliable for a few more years. By then I hope there will be a better range of hybrids to pick from too.