// Shifting into low "gear"

Shifting into low "gear"

The NAH has the B [Brake} setting which shifts the eCEV into a lower "gearing" ratio as if you had down shifted. This allows you to use engine braking like you would in a standard. The manual doesn't say much about this other than that doing this generates energy faster for the battery. Apparently this generates energy faster or more efficiently than the regenerative braking. The dealer suggested using the B setting if you wanted to slow down while you're going down a big hill or, for a really big hill, to protect your brakes just like you would in any other car.

My question is... just for hills? When I owned a 5 speed I used engine braking all the time both for comfort and to save (minimal probably) wear and tear on the brakes. Coming into red lights, slowing down on an exit ramp, etc. Whatever benefit there is to doing this in a 5 speed, if any, there is certainly more in the hybrid because of the extra energy made available to the battery.

But is there a trade off? Transmission life expectancy? Anything? Is there any reason NOT to use the B setting as you would use lower gears to slow down on a regular old car with a manual transmission?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I am disappointed to not see

I am disappointed to not see any comments on this post. We have had our NAH for three days, and I was wonding this exact thing for this exact reason ... it was a discussion in the car between the husband and me.

Anyone?

I don't think it's good to

I don't think it's good to be driving the NAH in "B". Whenever I do, it hardly ever goes into EV mode. It's also not good for coasting. I feel like it will decrease your fuel efficiency. Your regen will already be saving your brakes...by braking smoothly and for long stretches, you will kind of have the save engine braking effect.

will it damage your transmission? it might, I'm not sure, but it would do less damage than a traditional transmission.

all I can say is, after driving this car for 3 years, I keep it in D most of the time

Industrial Gears are

Industrial Gears are basically toothed shaped machinery part such as wheel or cylinder. Gear is a component that rotates by applying force to the teeth of another device to produce mechanical advantage

Industrial Gears are

Industrial Gears are basically toothed shaped machinery part such as wheel or cylinder. Gear is a component that rotates by applying force to the teeth of another device to produce mechanical advantage.

I used engine braking all

I used engine braking all the time both for comfort and to save (minimal probably) wear and tear on the brakes.Web Hosting Reviews