What does the BMW i3, the Ram 1500 Diesel and the 3-cylinder Ford Fiesta have in common? They are all powered by one of WardsAuto’s ten best 2015 engines.
Every year WardsAuto evaluates newly launched engines against the previous year’s winners and awards the ten ones they see as best.
Editors from WardAuto said they evaluated this autumn 37 all-new or improved powertrains, including four battery-electrics before settling on the winners.
Variety is the name of the game for this year’s winners as they include a couple of big V8 engines, one electric powertrain, one fuel cell powetrain, one diesel V6, one boxer engine, two three cylinder engines and a mix of turbocharging and supercharging.
2015 Ward’s Ten Best are as follow, listed in alphabetical order:
- 127 Kilowatt Electric Motor (BMW i3 electric vehicle)
- 6.2L OHV V8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
- 6.2L Supercharged OHV V8 (Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat)
- 1.0L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (Ford Fiesta)
- 100 Kilowatt Fuel Cell (Hyundai Tucson FCV)
- 1.5L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (Mini Cooper)
- 3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC H4 (Subaru WRX)
- 1.8L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volkswagen Golf)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo S60)
WardsAuto’s editors comments on why they chose which engines can be found on the publication’s website.