Photo GallerySorry there are no photos!
Tesla has just issued software Release v7.0 on a limited basis for its Model S, which will enable self-driving features such as Autosteer for a select group of beta testers.
“We have a version of Release v7.0 for you to try,” Tesla said in an email to its Early Access Program participants. “In particular, it includes Autosteer, a new Autopilot feature. Hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic while using Autosteer. We’ve sent the software to your car and it should be ready for you to install soon.”
When set to the new Autosteer mode, graphics on the driver’s display will show the path the Model S is following, post the current speed limit and indicate if a car is in front of the Tesla. Autopark will also be unlocked, giving Model S sedans the ability to parallel park themselves.
“Once activated, Autopark will begin to park itself by controlling steering and vehicle speed,” explained Tesla. “You can cancel Autopark by taking over steering, shifting, or pressing the Cancel button on the touchscreen. You can pause Autopark by pressing the brake pedal.”
Other self-driving features improved with this software release include Side Collision Warning, an upgrade from the previous Blind Spot Warning, for enhanced sensing around the vehicle. Hill Start Assist is also now Hill Hold: this prevents the Model S from rolling when at a standstill.
Release v7.0 also includes:
- Improved acceleration for single-motor Model S sedans
- Smoother driving at low speeds with more consistent torque
- Torque sleep for the single-motor Model S, which de-energizes the motor when the sedan is at a standstill to conserve energy
- More effective regenerative braking for Teslas with a 60 kilowatt-hours battery
- A more efficient climate control system
- A redesigned Energy app to monitor energy consumption
- A new Car Status app, Clock app and Trips app
Tesla didn’t elaborate when beta testers will be able to finish installing this upgrade and activate Autosteer, though a few are predicting that this will be unlocked within a few weeks. Photos and other instructions from Tesla on Release v7.0 were posted by EAP participants at My.TeslaMotors.com.