Imagine being able to see your navigation system or other car-related function while keeping your eyes on the road. Mini is working on it!
Mini revealed Augmented Vision at the Auto Shanghai, a special pair of glasses that aims to helps the driver see both the road and information displayed.
“Mini Augmented Vision gives an insight into how intelligent connectivity between a Mini vehicle and eyewear into which relevant content is projected might work in the future,” said Dr. Jörg Preißinger, project-manager MINI Augmented Vision, BMW Group research and technology. “Working with several Qualcomm companies, we have created an interlinked system and augmented reality eyewear with a characteristic MINI design that revolutionise the experience both in and outside the vehicle. This prototype with its customised, interactive functions succeeds in fusing augmented reality with the brand’s trademark sense of lifestyle.”
The special eyewear uses see-through technology, allowing relevant information to be shown in the driver’s direct field of vision but without concealing other road users. Mini claims this could help increase safety and comfort while driving.
Mini listed the following functions, stating they will be projected into the field of view with MINI Augmented Vision:
- Destination entry for navigation and transfer to vehicle: Selecting destination points when outside the vehicle, then transferring them to the vehicle.
- First Mile / Last Mile: Navigation display from the current location to the vehicle or from the vehicle to the final destination.
- Head-up display functions: Display of speed, speed limits etc. in the eyewear so the information is in the driver’s primary field of view, with data always shown in same place above steering wheel to make sure that no road users are concealed from sight.
- Contact-analogue navigation and points of interest: Reality is enhanced by contact-analogue navigation arrows “on” the road, as well as display of points of interest along the route, such as open parking spaces. The driver´s attention can always stay focused on the traffic.
- Messaging: A small icon is shown in the eyewear when a message is received. The SMS/message can then be read out by the car while driving for safety.
- X-Ray View / transparent vehicle parts: A virtual view through parts of the vehicle (such as A-pillars and doors) serves to render external areas or objects concealed by the car visible.
- Augmented Parking: This facilitates parking by projecting the images from a camera housed in the (farside) mirror into the eyewear. In this way, the distance from the curb can be clearly and easily ascertained.
Design and color-concept of the eyewear were created by Designworks for Mini. The car company did not reveal when or if this will go from concept to actual production and availability.