Mazda managed to close-out a dynamic 2013 Rolex Grand-Am GX season with nine-straight diesel-powered wins, with Mazda winning the 2013 Grand-Am GX Manufacturers Championship.
In twelve races, the SpeedSource Mazda team scored nine wins, five for the #00 VISITFLORIDA.com Mazda6 and four for the #70 Castrol Edge Mazda6.
The team’s successes can be partially summarized as follow:
- First diesel to compete in Grand-Am competition
- First diesel to win in Grand-Am competition
- First diesel to ever win at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Winner – North American Endurance Championship Presented by VISITFLORIDA.com (GX Class)
- Winner – Grand-Am Manufacturers Championship (GX Class)
- Sunoco Diamond Performance Award for most laps led during the season – #70 Mazda6
- TOTAL Performance Lubricants Pole Award – Tom Long with seven (7) pole positions
- Monticello Motorsports Club Grand-Am Rookie-of-the-Year – Joel Miller
- Rolex “Moment of the Year” Finalist
In accepting the GX Manufacturers Trophy for Mazda, John Doonan, Director of Mazda Motorsports for Mazda North American Operations, noted that; “The story of Mazda’s 2013 GX Manufacturer’s Championship began with our colleagues in Hiroshima, Japan who had the courage to design and build an amazing SKYACTIV-D Clean Diesel engine that will allow Mazda to be the first Asian automaker to bring modern clean diesel cars to the U.S. market. The vision of our management in the U.S. and Japan led us to take the very first five engines off the assembly line and ship them to our partners at SpeedSource Race Engineering to be built into race engines…with more than 50% of the stock engine still being used for the race engine….and to align this race program with the launch of our new Mazda6 road car.”
The SKYACTIV-D Clean Diesel engine in the new Mazda6 is, according to Mazda, a true production based engine. The engine is 51 percent stock by parts count, and 63 percent stock by weight. Mazda said it chose this path as it is the most honest way to demonstrate the quality, durability, and reliability of Mazda cars.