+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Interesting, but how did you come up with 4%? I thought 2% was .3% over my results in 650 miles. I'm going fill up early and reset my trip, Tank and nav sys MPG average and keep a eye on it. I expect the nav system to drop data at about 200 miles, but I looking at the trip and the SG11 tank miles. BTW, I had many tanks where the nav sys was lower than the SG average because my mileage was worse at the end of the tank.

GaryG
    So far, I only put 49.9 miles on my trip OD and the SG11 tank reading would increased to over the 3.9 miles over 650 miles. This confirms a 2% increase adjustment to the speed of the SG is to much. A 4% adjustment would put the SG near 8 mile over the dash trip OD in 650 miles. This all means the SG needs programming to allow decimal points in the percentage of speed.

Carl? Please tell Ron of my findings.

GaryG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I set my scale factor to 1%, when in reality it is closer to 1.5%. I have another revision of the new SG firmware, but I haven't checked the calibration. I suspect it is still in whole number increments, though. When I report back to Ron on the latest firmware, I will mention it to him.
    With the new firmware in place, I can monitor SoC to the hundredths. Also, battery temp, charge/discharge limits, delta module voltage (always zero so far), and a ton more.

On another note, I noticed during my last tank that the navi MPG actually dropped below the message center for a while. I noticed that even hundreds of miles into a tank, I can affect the navi reading much more easily than the message center average econ reading. I'm thinking the navi must use some form of weighted moving average to calculate the average MPG

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    I set my scale factor to 1%, when in reality it is closer to 1.5%. I have another revision of the new SG firmware, but I haven't checked the calibration. I suspect it is still in whole number increments, though. When I report back to Ron on the latest firmware, I will mention it to him.
    With the new firmware in place, I can monitor SoC to the hundredths. Also, battery temp, charge/discharge limits, delta module voltage (always zero so far), and a ton more.

On another note, I noticed during my last tank that the navi MPG actually dropped below the message center for a while. I noticed that even hundreds of miles into a tank, I can affect the navi reading much more easily than the message center average econ reading. I'm thinking the navi must use some form of weighted moving average to calculate the average MPG
    All this sounds great Carl!

I've got over 100 miles on my FEH after setting the speed at 2% over on the SG11. The SG11 is .1 miles over every 15 miles now, but much better than the default setting. In addition, the SG11 is now tracking the navi MPG much better. This will change when the navi starts dropping data though.

Most people report that the navi reads higher than the SG, but if I start getting better mileage, the SG can reads lower than the navi because it averages the entire tank. The fact that the SG11 default speed setting is to slow, makes the navi seem over the correct mileage.

It appears from what Carl noticed with the message center econ gauge, that it holds data longer than the navi MPG average.

GaryG

An Update:

After the 2% adjustment in the speed of the SG11, here are my present readings:

Navi

44.5 MPG Avg.

Dash

169.3 miles trip OD

MTE 417

SG11

44.6 MPG Avg
    20mph Avg.
    24.9 hrs
    8.1 hrs
    499 TTE
    170 miles
    11.2 gal TTE
    3.8 Gal used

Notice how close the miles traveled and the MPG averages are at this point with the navi, dash, and SG11. I ran the cabin A/C more right after fill-up, so I expect the navi to start dropping that data soon and show a higher average than the SG11.

GaryG

Another Update:

Something very interesting happen yesterday I've never noticed. My navi MPG average started breaking away from my SG11 tank average as always, but I noticed it was tracking the SG "Today" average with every tenth of a mile.

I quoted my self so everyone could compare my readings from the beginning of this tank below. Newer Reading:

Navi

Dash
    trip 354.1
    MTE 254

SG11 - Tank
    45.9 MPG average
    22 MPH avg
    15.0 Hrs TTE
    16.0 Hrs
    330 miles TTE
    357 miles (now 3 miles over dash trip)
    7.2 Gal TTE
    7.8 gal

SG11 "Today" average
    46.4 MPG avg
    25 MPH avg
    52 MPH max
    4.5 Hrs
    2883 RPM Max
    112 miles
    181 FWT max
    2.4 Gal

GaryG

An Update:

After the 2% adjustment in the speed of the SG11, here are my present readings:

Navi

44.5 MPG Avg.

Dash

169.3 miles trip OD

MTE 417

SG11

44.6 MPG Avg
    20mph Avg.
    24.9 hrs
    8.1 hrs
    499 TTE
    170 miles
    11.2 gal TTE
    3.8 Gal used

Notice how close the miles traveled and the MPG averages are at this point with the navi, dash, and SG11. I ran the cabin A/C more right after fill-up, so I expect the navi to start dropping that data soon and show a higher average than the SG11.

GaryG

Another Update:

Something very interesting happen yesterday I've never noticed. My navi MPG average started breaking away from my SG11 tank average as always, but I noticed it was tracking the SG "Today" average with every tenth of a mile.

I quoted my self so everyone could compare my readings from the beginning of this tank below. Newer Reading:

Navi

Dash
    trip 354.1
    MTE 254

SG11 - Tank
    45.9 MPG average
    22 MPH avg
    15.0 Hrs TTE
    16.0 Hrs
    330 miles TTE
    357 miles (now 3 miles over dash trip)
    7.2 Gal TTE
    7.8 gal

SG11 "Today" average
    46.4 MPG avg
    25 MPH avg
    52 MPH max
    4.5 Hrs
    2883 RPM Max
    112 miles
    181 FWT max
    2.4 Gal

GaryG
    This is my third and last post on this tank after changing the SG11 default speed setting to plus 2%. Filled-up today and got these numbers before resetting.

Nav
    46.8mpg

Dash
    trip 635.3
    MTE - 0 @ 604 miles (31.3 miles past zero)

SG11 - Tank
    45.8mpg average (Final Tank)
    22 MPH average
    2.2 Hrs
    28.5 Hrs
    50.3 TTE
    640 miles (4.7 miles over Dash Trip OD)

The SG11 Tank Trip default setting was 1.7% below my Dash Trip OD miles. Changing the speed setting to plus 2% put the miles over by .74% (4.7miles over 635.3 miles). If you take the dash trip OD (635.3) and divide that by the SG11 tank gallons used (13.9), I got a 45.7mpg average on this tank. BTW, I added 14.09 gallons at the pump.

GaryG