+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

MSantos- I have been having

MSantos-
    I have been having ongoing problems with my transmission. Honda always starts wby replacing the CVT Fluid and completing burnishing procedures-- about a year and a half ago the transmission was leaking so they finally replaced it, at 46,000 miles. Now my car has just over 66,000 miles and the juttering has started again- because the warranty is gone, and because I don't trust the mechanics at the dealership after they informed me that they put a part in backwards the last time they replaced the transmission....I took my car to a different mechanic who said I need a new transmission. I told him I just got a new one and he said then you need to take it back and have them give you another new one. So I did and well--- they oerformed a CVT fluid burnish.... any ideas on how to get Honda to fix my problem?????
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

When I went in last week

When I went in last week with the juddering problem the supervisor of the dealership told me that they would only burnish the fluids to get rid of the judder until the check engine light came on. I know from my past with this problem is is the transmission. Since your check engine light is on and the car is juddering I would talk with them about the transmission. Good luck!

I have a MT 2004 HCH. Is

I have a MT 2004 HCH. Is this juddering problem only with the CVT? Yesterday, while making a slow right-hand turn, it felt like I was driving over a bicycle for about three seconds. not sure if that's the same experience folks get with the "juddering." I know that the CVT has more problems than the MT and is more expensive to fix, but does the same problem occur withe the MT? thanks

I have an 05 HCH, same

I have an 05 HCH, same problem, four burnishings, now I'm out of warranty by 2000 miles. Honda has a known problem and pushed everyone outside of the warrnaty coverage by insisting on performing this bad-aid repair of burnishing to avoid perorming the supposed permanent repair. there are a number of us out there aand we need to pursue a class action lawsuit.

I have a 03 Honda Civic

I have a 03 Honda Civic Hybrid and am experiencing the bumpy rides and was told that it is the start clutch failing, will cost 1300 to fix, my son has the car in MA and i live in detroit, is it safe for him to drive home around xmas time so my regular dealer can fix it?
    Also what would happen if the starter clutch failed while driving? Is it dangerous?

I have a 2005 HCH. I also

I have a 2005 HCH. I also had the startup clutch judder issue. The first time I took it in to the dealer they changed the fluid. The second time I took it to the dealer they did the software update. The third time they replaced the start up clutch which finally seemed to fix it. Fortunately my car was under warranty.

I have a 2005 HCH. I also

I have a 2005 HCH. I also had the startup clutch judder issue. The first time I took it in to the dealer they changed the fluid. The second time I took it to the dealer they did the software update. The third time they replaced the start up clutch which finally seemed to fix it. Fortunately my car was under warranty.

My 2004 Hybrid transmission

My 2004 Hybrid transmission just died , the start clutch problem that has been talked about. I will say it has 184,000 miles on it but the problem started sometime ago. I was outside the 100k extended warranty and the dealer called Honda, they said sorry. Of course I was never told about the problem, now I find out that it's an engineering flaw. So, the shuddering had been getting worse and the other night while starting from a stop light, bang. Heard a little noise, tach red lined and that was it. Nothing in any gears.

I have a 2003 HCh with 74000

I have a 2003 HCh with 74000 miles. I just paid $700 for a brand new battery with a 3year warranty. About the shuttering, I had this a year a go and the Honda dealership did a burnish. My shuttering stopped in June after the burn and returned 3 months later. After driving with it over a year, the dealership said I needed a transmition mount replaced ($295). It is a LOT better but I can feel the shuttering very slightly. They qoute me $1400+ for a new Clutch. I have no idea what I will do.

Just an FYI, I hear a lot on

Just an FYI, I hear a lot on this board about "clutch burnishing". Before you pay the dealer $350 to $400 to do it, you should understand exactly what the procedure is. After they change the transmission fluid (which is often a separate charge), burnishing consists of the following:
    1) Putting car on lift and getting it up to 40 mph to get the fluids moving in the transmission (call it 5 minutes tops, most of it lifting the car up and dropping the car back down)
    2) With engine running, putting both the parking brake and regular brake on, putting the car in "Drive", and flooring the accelerator for 3 seconds. This "burnishes" the clutch by polishing any hard AT fluid varnish that may have formed on the clutch plates.
    3) Letting it cool down for a minute or so.
    4) Repeat #2 and #3
    5) Do it once more except in reverse instead of drive.
    6) Take car out on road and "Calibrate the start clutch" by getting it up to 40 mph, turning on the headlights and letting it decelerate down to 20 mph.

That's it. They DO NOT take apart the transmission or physically remove any parts. It is a service that is done entirely in the driver's seat. Not worth >$300 in my opinion.

I strongly suggest if you are having these sorts of issues on your HCH, you should sign up for one of those Factory Service Bulletin services (you can google Factory Service Bulletins, there are multiple choices) for around $25 per year. Chances are, your issue is in there. Many of those services also include full diagnostic codes. This means that the next time your check engine or IMA light comes on, you can go down to your local auto parts store, ask them to "Put the scanner on it" (a free service at many auto parts stores, you can also buy your own scanner at Sears for about $70 or less), and you can know what the problem is before the dealer does.

I once had a dealer try to charge me $400 to fix my rough-running engine on my 2003 HCH, and by doing the above I determined it was the EGR valve. $75 part, two bolts, and I was back in business. To be perfectly honest, I could have probably gotten away with a $2 can of WD40 and cleaned the old one.

Get informed folks, and don't get ripped off!