+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

starter clutch issue

Hello all! I just found this forum because I was trying to research a problem with my 04 Civic Hybrid. When I start driving, it feels as though I am going over a rumble strip. I am wondering if this is the "slipping" that people were discussing in another thread...I had this problem last summer, they replaced my CVT fluid, and it came back this summer again. I had it at the dealer today, and they told me that it was starter clutch failure. They would need to replace my transmission (on a 3 year old car with 67,000 miles???) and it would cost $3700. I politely told them "no thanks." Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Replacing the CVT fluid is not enough. This issue is pretty common with Gen 1 HCH's. They have to perform an H-ATF flush and they *may* also have to perform a CVT "burnish".

I would recommend you visit another dealership if they do not like to research Honda's own service bulletins.

KB Ref# 11560 [Title: CVT SHUDDER @ACCEL R&D PROCEDURE (R&R FLUID, BURNISH)]

Cheers;

MSantos

Would you mind explaining to me what an H-ATF flush is? What do they do for a "burnish?" I am a bit clueless...I'm guessing this is something I need to pay for myself, huh? I noticed that the rumbling is worse in the summer. Do you know if this issue is something that will do permanent damage to my car or should I just deal with it in the summer? Other than this, I love the car and have been very happy with it! Sorry for all the questions. I'm just a bit frustrated.

The procedure involves the replacement of the ATF fluid, empty and refill again. The H-ATF fluid is a transmission fluid formulated by Honda specifically for your CVT. Honda engineering advises against the use of any other fluid.

The procedure should be done by the dealership as per the service checklist and may involve other tasks as identified by the HDS results. Your CVT software may also need an update depending on the circumstances (typically not required for most cases).

The longer you wait, the greater the damage. Sorry. In some cases, the whole CVT transmission had to be replaced, which is not a nice thing at all.

Cheers;

MSantos

Do you know anything about a

Do you know anything about a recall being done on this "shuddering" problem? I had (and paid for) a burnish done on my 04 HCH in August 2007, but the problem came back. A friend who owns an 03 HCH just called me and said he had the problem fixed free of charge since there is supposedly a recall. I haven't received any information from Honda about this. I think he said they replaced a part, then they burnished the transmission...
    I hope this issue can be resolved soon. Otherwise, I am very happy with my hybrid!
    Thanks,
    leash529

leash529: The recalls are

leash529:

The recalls are issued on the basis of the production batches that are marked "suspect". If your VIN falls outside such a batch then you will not receive any notification. However, this does not mean that your car will not develop similar symptoms, it is just that Honda Engineering does not have enough "significant statistical" information indicating that your car is in a high risk group.

In any case, kindly keep the pressure on the dealer and ask the dealer to escalate the issue. When this happens Honda engineering gets involved and the problems often get resolved more expeditiously.

Good luck;

MSantos

I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with my 04 HCH. I have had my transmission flushed three times and it is back again. I will continue to put pressure on my dealership. Is there anyone else we should be talking to?

After I posted the question,

After I posted the question, I did receive a "warranty extension" notice from Honda saying that the problem would be fixed and the cost would be covered. Hopefully you got a notice too, fchristian44! The parts are on backorder right now...

I have an 03 hch, 140k

I have an 03 hch, 140k miles. Honda paid to replace the starter clutch about 3 years ago and now I'm having to do it again! This time they will only pay for 50% which is around $500. I think I will have to get a new car soon.

My 2003 HCH developed this

My 2003 HCH developed this problem in late 2009 at about 68,000 miles. It seems to only happen upon acceleration at very slow speed.

There are two service bulletins about this shuddering; both have apparently expired as far as free fixes are concerned. Service bulletin #07-049 says to burnish starter clutch, and #07-050 addresses "jutter" and slippage.

I never received any info about this problem from Honda. The Corpus Christi, Tx dealership where I bought the HCH did all the maintenance until I moved to Houston last September, and they never mentioned anything about this issue.

In my new Houston dealer told me about the two service bulletins. The first recommendation is to burnish the plate (?) in the starter, which I think means to grind it smooth; they did this for free. This didn't help much; they put me touch with Honda Customer Service who would do nothing about fixing the problem - the car was out of the warranty assistance period. So the Houston dealer offered to replace the starter as per the second recommended fix for $1000. I contacted my Corpus dealer who agreed to replace the starter for $750 based on my past relationship with having them do all the maintenance. The Jan 2010 repair ticket says "excessive wear of start clutch 218511ABC-5JD00 6.80 diagnose and remove transmission, disassemble transmission, replace start clutch assembly, flush A/T cooler with Honda G-TEC flush machine, top off transmission fluid, calibrate start clutch, perform 3 start clutch burnishings, test drove vehicle, no shutter was felt upon take off."

The new starter clutch worked fine for about five months, but the problem returned this past week and is actually worse than before. Tomorrow (June 22, 2010) I'll contact the Corpus dealer to see if their work is under warranty; otherwise, I'll go back to the Houston dealer.