+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Headrest Solutions

I just bought a 2007 Civic yesterday & I didn't notice the headrest being a problem. As I was driving around today, I did. I'm a 5'1'' female and love the Civic but the headrest pushes my head down and kills my neck and lower back. Too late now...I already bought the Civic. After reading postings of options, I understand there's nothing the dealership can/will do. I don't want to use non-factory headrest for fear of losing my insurance coverage. I don't want to lay my seat back. And I don't want to drive without a headrest.
    SO.....I had some foam in the basement. I cut the foam into a wedge shape. I placed the thin part of the foam at my lower back & the slightly thicker part of the foam came even to the shoulder of the seat. This pushed my upper back slightly forward enough so I can't feel the headrest immediately on my head but it's still there. I still get the support from the seat on my lower back too! The foam feels like part of the seat & supports great! I'm going to buy a seat cover & position the foam under the seat cover to hide the thick foam. You can go to any fabric store & they will cut you foam how you want it. Questions, please let me know. Otherwise, good luck!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

That is a pretty good solution, bound to serve you better than many generic back support products you may get at the stores.

My wife is not a tall person either and she complained about the headrests too particularly on longer trips. One day she ventured into a Walmart and bought a back support product that looked good but did not help her much. She took it back and then exchanged it for a $5 narrow neck support pillow. She now swears by it.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

MSantos

I turn it around for my wife. That works OK and leaves it in-place just in-case.

New Solution to Headrest Problem

I found a new solution to the headrest problem. I had the headrest rods put in a vice (the rods that support the headrest) bent backwards to be made more straight. I works!!! I don't need a pillow, car seat covers, or have to have my headrest on backwards. I have perfect headrest support & my back & neck is straight and supported. Just bend the rods back!! It works perfect.

How about posting a picture of the bent headrest removed from the seat. I'd like to know what angle you found to be optimum.

Where did you get the rods straightened?

Where did you go to get the rods straightened? I've thought of the same thing but don't know where to start! Also, are there concerns that the headrest will be weakened too much by bending the rods? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by New Civic Owner View Post
    I found a new solution to the headrest problem. I had the headrest rods put in a vice (the rods that support the headrest) bent backwards to be made more straight. I works!!! I don't need a pillow, car seat covers, or have to have my headrest on backwards. I have perfect headrest support & my back & neck is straight and supported. Just bend the rods back!! It works perfect.

possible headrest solution/ also contact Honda

I just purchased an addonheadrest.com. I haven't received it yet, but am hoping that if I turn it upside down, it may make my existing headrest tolerable.

Also, I called Honda at 800-999-1009 about the problem, and they said they have been getting a lot of complaints about their new headrests. They put me on a list to notify if they ever offer a manufacturer's solution.

HEADrest - Not Just

I didn't have much of a problem with the headrest, but DID in trying to get a comfortable arm length with the steering wheel, once I had the seat and back positioned, and the wheel telescoped out to the max. I had a rectangular fake lambswool that I folded into thirds and placed that as a full back rest. The headrest is no longer in contact. I had to custom make a lumbar "roll" to suite my particular requirements. I also had a kind of memory foam that I positioned on the seat. NOW ALL PARTS OF ME ARE COMFORTABLE

Civic Headrest Problem- (All with this issue please read)

Seems to me that there are enough complaints to have Honda do something about it. I complained almost a year ago to Honda and the dealer. Neither seemed interested but Honda claimed they documented it. Just because safety tests have been done on the function of the headrest does not prove the severe angle isn't an issue. If you look at the Japanese version of the Civic almost everything is exactly the same EXCEPT the headrests. The Japanese version is more upright. It is a design flaw that they won't admit to and will ignore it as long as they can. I have also used the memory foam, have bought several different back rests- all eventually compress my nerves and cause additional pain and dizziness. We all need to get together on every forum we can find and document our complaints in written form (I heard we can certify letter them) keep a copy and log when we do this on a main forum site. Once enough of us have documented complaints that we can prove Honda has received we will be able to have a chance at having HONDA FIX THE PROBLEM instead of us having to accommodate with unsafe and very inconvenient temporary solutions. It is not our responsibility to fix this and it is NOT something you can detect on a test drive. Please let me know who's in and what y'all think is the best way to go about this. Thanks.

No need to have the bars bent. You can take the headrest completely out of the two holes, turn it around, and slide it in backward. You won't have a height adjustment, but it will still be tall enough for most people, and it won't push your head forward any longer, since the pad will be angled back.

This fix takes 10 seconds and costs nothing.