+ Reply to Thread

After Market Radio

I am intersted in getting an after market radio/CD player for my 06 MMH. I do not want or need all the bells or whistles, just getting a new one so i can have an "Aux" plug in the radio for MP3 and Sattelite. I do not want to spend a lot of money on the system and found several at Best Buy for around $100. I know there are options out there for attaching the iPod and sattelite directly to the radio, but i just want the plug.

The guy there mentioned I may need a special harness for the radio because hybrids have a lot of information going to the radio.

Now, I do not have the Nav system, just the factory "Audiophile" 6 disc changer. It does not give me any more information than a regular radio system would.

So would i really need any special "harness" for the radio? I do not want to get taken because i do not know a lot about this. I would think it would be a simple hook up for a new after market radio system.

Here is a link to a sample one, this will probably not be the specific one i buy, but for reference purposes:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840027254

Thanks for your responses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Having just removed the in-dash changer and installed the navigation radio, I can tell you that there won't be any special harnesses to hook up an aftermarket radio. Here's the connector pinout for your factory radio. Any store that sells car radios should have a connector to mate up with this and connect to the aftermarket radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    I do not want or need all the bells or whistles, just getting a new one so i can have an "Aux" plug in the radio for MP3 and Sattelite.

Now, I do not have the Nav system, just the factory "Audiophile" 6 disc changer. It does not give me any more information than a regular radio system would.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840027254

Thanks for your responses!
    Do you know how many speakers you have in your vehicle and do you have a subwoofer in the rear cargo area? In my 2005 Escape, I have 7 speakers including the subwoofer in the rear cargo area via the Ford Mach 300 system. Are you just looking to get an I-Pod connection and/or better radio system? E-bay has an I-Pod connection hookup at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

It is getting late and I can get back to you on Friday with a detailed graph of the wiring system to the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    Do you know how many speakers you have in your vehicle and do you have a subwoofer in the rear cargo area? In my 2005 Escape, I have 7 speakers including the subwoofer in the rear cargo area via the Ford Mach 300 system. Are you just looking to get an I-Pod connection and/or better radio system? E-bay has an I-Pod connection hookup at:

It is getting late and I can get back to you on Friday with a detailed graph of the wiring system to the speakers.
    THanks,

I believe i have 7 or 8 speakers, I know i have four in the front (1 on each side on the door above the dash and 1 on each side at the bottom of the door by your feet and two in the back seat area, and i not sure what is in the very back).

I actaully just want easy plug in for the I-Pod but want to keep the I-Pod as the control. From what i have seen i do not like the way you browse through your folders and playlists and songs when it is hard wired into the radio.

The radios I have seen are pretty nice and it should cost me less that $200 bucks when all is said and done. I could attempt to install myself, but I do not trust myself with the hybrid technology and making sure i disconnect and connect the right stuff.

Thanks again,

Mark

connector

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post

When i look at the details of the site you sent, it says "MUST HAVE FACTORY 12-PIN CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF THE HEADUNIT." It appearsfrom DesertDog that the connector is a 16 pin. ??

I have a photo of the rear 7 speaker radio found in the Escape. You can take this into the store and compare to newer models.

The 4-speaker in-dash changer uses the 16-pin connector I posted. The iPod interface referenced requires the 12-pin connector for the external changer that comes with the nav radio, and it replaces the changer. Apparently, the 7-speaker in-dash changer unit uses two connectors, a 24-pin and an 8-pin.

Desert Dog - Installation?

I was wondering how extensive it was for you to do the removal and installation of the radio? I am wondering if it would be worth my time and money to do-it-myself, but i am worried about the connections and what I need to discsonnect, etc...

Thanks for any advice.

Removing my factory 4-speaker radio was pretty simple, just one connector to disconnect on the radio. Push down on the tab and pull and it comes right off. But because I was adding the nav radio and its harness with tons 'o connectors, I had to unplug the rear defrost switch connector and then unplug the speaker and main harness connectors also. You should not have to monkey with anything like that; just get the aftermarket connectors that mate up to the two connectors shown above and hook them up to the connector that comes with the aftermarket radio and you should be golden.

Physically removing the radio requires two U-shaped wires that you insert into the 4 holes in the radio. You then push these outward and pull to remove the radio. There is enough harness length to allow access to the connectors in back.

If you would like pictures I can send them or post them.

Cheers,

Carl

Installation

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    Removing my factory 4-speaker radio was pretty simple, just one connector to disconnect on the radio. Push down on the tab and pull and it comes right off. But because I was adding the nav radio and its harness with tons 'o connectors, I had to unplug the rear defrost switch connector and then unplug the speaker and main harness connectors also. You should not have to monkey with anything like that; just get the aftermarket connectors that mate up to the two connectors shown above and hook them up to the connector that comes with the aftermarket radio and you should be golden.

Physically removing the radio requires two U-shaped wires that you insert into the 4 holes in the radio. You then push these outward and pull to remove the radio. There is enough harness length to allow access to the connectors in back.

If you would like pictures I can send them or post them.

Cheers,

Carl
    Thanks Carl!

You could e-mail the pics to me at labbettm@comcast.net. I would be interested in seeing them. I have seen the U shaped tools on Crutchfield.com, is there a local chain that may have them?

Also, do i need to disconnect the electric battery or anything like that? I thought i read that you need to do that if you are messing with the radio.

Next, i will probably only be putting in a single DIN (I beleive that is what they call them) radio as compared to the double DIN that is already in there. Do you know where i could get a bin or cover to put in the empty space??

Thanks so much for your help!!

Mark