+ Reply to Thread

Strange thing just happened

Ok, this is weird and i hope someone can shed some light on it.

I filled up my tank on Sunday evening, about 13.5 gallons. the readout on the "miles to Empty" was about 420 or so, I don't quite remember. But i reset the tripometer as i always do on fill up.

So Monday we did some short trips about 20-30 miles or so, maybe a little more or less and Tuesday my wife took the MMH to work, about 20 miles total. So i was in the car today and the tripometer was at 77 miles and the miles to empty read about 350 something which made sense because we were a little above 3/4 of a tank and you could obviously see that the fuel gague was below full and closer to empty. I usually get about 100 miles for each quarter tank (just a visual from the fuel gague).

Well, i went to the store and when i got back in and started it up, the tank was now back up to full, no lie, right on the full line, and the MTE read 402!

How could i have more gas in the tank now?? I shut down and restarted and the same information was showing.

Now, i know the above information is vague on where my mileage actually was because i usually do not look at it when at a full tank, but id know for sure that the fuel gague was almost at 3/4 tank because of how far i had travelled (77 miles) and now it is at full.

I was on level ground when i checked all of this.
    Any ideas what happened?!?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    Ok, this is weird and i hope someone can shed some light on it.

I filled up my tank on Sunday evening, about 13.5 gallons. the readout on the "miles to Empty" was about 420 or so, I don't quite remember. But i reset the tripometer as i always do on fill up.

So Monday we did some short trips about 20-30 miles or so, maybe a little more or less and Tuesday my wife took the MMH to work, about 20 miles total. So i was in the car today and the tripometer was at 77 miles and the miles to empty read about 350 something which made sense because we were a little above 3/4 of a tank and you could obviously see that the fuel gague was below full and closer to empty. I usually get about 100 miles for each quarter tank (just a visual from the fuel gague).

Well, i went to the store and when i got back in and started it up, the tank was now back up to full, no lie, right on the full line, and the MTE read 402!

How could i have more gas in the tank now?? I shut down and restarted and the same information was showing.

Now, i know the above information is vague on where my mileage actually was because i usually do not look at it when at a full tank, but id know for sure that the fuel gague was almost at 3/4 tank because of how far i had travelled (77 miles) and now it is at full.

I was on level ground when i checked all of this.
    Any ideas what happened?!?

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark, I constantly monitor my MPG and when the gauges show false information, the PCM corrects the data more into the tank. Remember, there are a number of sensors feeding the PCM while it's calculating MPG. Many times I've seen my gas gauge fall only to return to full again. My guess is that you may have over filled into the vapor space of the tank and the PCM adjusted the gauge as if it was a normal fill. However, I have seen my gauge drop back to the original reading also. In addition, heat and cold weather will expand and contract gas, so that could also change the reading.

GaryG

Thanks Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Mark, I constantly monitor my MPG and when the gauges show false information, the PCM corrects the data more into the tank. Remember, there are a number of sensors feeding the PCM while it's calculating MPG. Many times I've seen my gas gauge fall only to return to full again. My guess is that you may have over filled into the vapor space of the tank and the PCM adjusted the gauge as if it was a normal fill. However, I have seen my gauge drop back to the original reading also. In addition, heat and cold weather will expand and contract gas, so that could also change the reading.

GaryG
    Thanks for the response. It did it again today, but did go back to normal. Come to think of it, I did top it off pretty full last fill up.

Appreciate the response.

Mark