+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GripperDon View Post
    Not only does it run the ICE to heat the Cat I have noticed that after the Blue water temp light goes out it still will not go EV for about another 4 to 5 minutes.
    really? mine goes into EV mode even before the blue light turns off

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

As you know I am getting horrible milage

Let me tell the story as accurately as i can as i am interested in your analysis.

1. Start Car
    2. Back out of garage Ice ture on by the time the front end is out of garage door.
    3. I drive off and try to let everything settle for a couple of miles.
    4. I try to get to 25 or so and suddenly release the gas it does not go into EV mode this is the way it stay for at least 10 miles or about 5 minutes then it will go into EV, the Blue light has been off for a long time by then.
    5. Added Info: Even after driving 30 minutes I really cannot take off slowely enough to stay in EV mode I get it rolling and accellerate slower than I can walk by the time I get to 25 mph it flips on the ICE. Even after driving for an hour and a half the situation is stll the same.
    6. I am half way thru my second tank and have deriven it for distances on 90 miles on the freeway, Done everyknid of driving I can think of pulse and glide, etc. Everything but drop it off a cliff and i cant get the metter to show more than 31.5 mpg max. I am running the AC bu on recirculate, set at 79 to 81 vents aimed at me to stand the heat. Press the AC of at lights you name it. I think I git a drunk the way it gussles gas. The tires are at 45psi.
    Any thoughts?

my thoughts are...don't have your maximum rated @ 40 PSI tires at 45 PSI for one thing

i think that even if you keep the AC on at 79, it will still run the compressor and kill some fuel economy

try resetting your MPG computer...maybe the bad start is killing your computer now. mileage does get better though

I find that the AC on or off doesn't matter since it is run by electric and won't affect fuel economy since the compessor doesn't drag off of the ICE as in "normal" cars. On level surfaces with battery well charged I can go from stop to 40 mph without ICE kicking in and travel approx. 3 miles on EV mode. In cases where the is a slight incline, from stop I will give more pedal and start ICE until I get to 30 or so and then back off and EV for long distances. It really takes time and practice to get it working well. My mileage was stuck around 33.5 until I changed my highway driving somewhat (keeping at no more than 65 except for downhills keeping mileage bar above 40 and let it slow up hills trying to maintain 40ish MPG and now am averaging 37 MPG. That is about as much that I think I can get out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulldvd View Post
    I find that the AC on or off doesn't matter since it is run by electric and won't affect fuel economy since the compessor doesn't drag off of the ICE as in "normal" cars.
    The AC penalty in a hybrid comes from the electric compressor drawing down your battery faster than when it's not running. The ICE has to start more often to compensate.