+ Reply to Thread

FEH towing/trailering?

I am expecting delivery of my 2008 FEH and considering installing a tow/trailer hitch to pull a light trailer for HIP (home improvement projects) or a motorcycle.
    The Duratec 2.3L I-4 is rated at 1500# @ 153 HP. Can the FEH tow the 1500#, or something more conservative, like 1000#? The FEH Atkinson-cycle 2.3L I-4 engine is rated at 155HP and 124 lb-ft torque. The dealer is unsure if they have installed any tow/trailer hitch on a FEH. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DawnaE7 View Post
    I am expecting delivery of my 2008 FEH and considering installing a tow/trailer hitch to pull a light trailer for HIP (home improvement projects) or a motorcycle.
    The Duratec 2.3L I-4 is rated at 1500# @ 153 HP. Can the FEH tow the 1500#, or something more conservative, like 1000#? The FEH Atkinson-cycle 2.3L I-4 engine is rated at 155HP and 124 lb-ft torque. The dealer is unsure if they have installed any tow/trailer hitch on a FEH. Any thoughts, suggestions?
    The FEH is rated to tow up to 1,000 pounds, but that includes vehicle load. Most people get an after market hitch and wiring lights can't come from the small wires from the existing lights. Try going to a good hitch Shop for bids.

GaryG

User reports of towing capacity

There is another Escape Hybrid forum where users have reported on real world experiences on towing-often exceeding Ford recommendations. Go to this link for this information. http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...ead.php?t=9226

Hope this gives some insight.

Trailering questions?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    The FEH is rated to tow up to 1,000 pounds, but that includes vehicle load. Most people get an after market hitch and wiring lights can't come from the small wires from the existing lights. Try going to a good hitch Shop for bids.

GaryG
    New 2008 MMH owner here. Kiwi Green, no navigation package, but did opt for the Moon and Tune (moonroof and satellite radio) and 110 volt outlet. Otherwise it is fully equipped to our liking. Love it so far. Working on my hypermileage tricks to exceed the 32.6 on my first 2 tanks of fuel.

Regarding trailer hitches and lights. E-trailer.com has assured me that the hitch they sell (Curt Class III Round Tube #13649) will bolt right on. They are also sending a trailer light kit #30131 that is supposed to be a direct plug-in to the taillights. My local hitch shop wanted about twice as much to purchase and install the hitch and light kit. They insisted that the expense was necessary because they had to hard wire directly to the battery for 12 volt power.

Has anyone had experience with this? I have not received the hitch or light kit yet, but hope to install it within the next week. I don't want to screw up the electronics on my taillights, brake lights and blinkers. Has anyone just plugged in and had success? The generic pdf sheet of directions says that the light kit is good for 2005 through current Mercury Mariner.

I need to occasionally pull a small trailer with garden tractor or motor scooter. Now that I traded my pickup for the MMH, I need to get used to downsizing what I haul about.

Trailer light power module for FEH/MMH

Be careful with the light installation. Seems that the FEH/MMH will NOT wire like the non-Hybrid due to the electronics. You may have to pay more for the correct light kit, but not have to pay for a NEW BCM (Body control module) for your FEH/MMH.

Sorry to look at another user site, but warnings from other FEH/MMH owners might be useful in making the proper install for the trailer light kit. See the discussion on;
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...ead.php?t=3592

You NEED a light controller, the light kit for the standard Escape will not fit the FEH/MMH. If the T-connector that U-Haul is trying to sell you just ties into the existing lines but does not have a controller that powers the trailer lights from a direct 12 volt connection to the battery, you could damage the wiring and/or BCM (Body control module) in your FEH.

One unit to consider is installation of the trailer light power module by ModuLite HD #118190 to protect your electrical system http://www.hitch-web.com/default.asp or http://www.reese-hitches.com/electrical/modulite.htm

Good luck!

The site you refer to is very, very old. They are talking about 2005 and maybe 2006 models.

I am dealing with a 2008 MMH. Etrailer.com seems to have a kit that plugs in directly to the hybrid. I do not have it yet, so I don't know for sure.

FEH Towing/trailering

My new 08 Escape Hybrid 4WD just came off the truck at dealership today. Has anyone had a trailer hitch and trailer lights installed and hooked-up yet? Where did you purchase the hitch/light kit? Any problems installing hitch or lights and with functioning of lights?