+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FEH 08 Brake Problems?

Hi! My husband and I are close to buying an 08 FEH, however we have just become aware of some brake issues on the FEH. We have read of others having complete brake failure, even one organization whose fleet of 30 FEH's was pulled when 7 of them had brake problems. Anyone familiar with this and able to give us some advice. We are so close to buying, however reliability and safety are important to us and our family. I'd appreciate ANY help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hybridmom View Post
    Hi! My husband and I are close to buying an 08 FEH, however we have just become aware of some brake issues on the FEH. We have read of others having complete brake failure, even one organization whose fleet of 30 FEH's was pulled when 7 of them had brake problems. Anyone familiar with this and able to give us some advice. We are so close to buying, however reliability and safety are important to us and our family. I'd appreciate ANY help!
    Yes, I responded to that thread. That is not the norm and the FEH/MMH is a very reliable vehicle. If Ford had that kind of problem with life threating issues, the Gov would have stepped in.

GaryG

Please do not buy this vehicle until Ford addresses the serious brake issues. You can read my story on several other posts - but I will summarize. These are not safe vehicles and should not be on the road in their current condition. My daughter and I could have been killed last Thursday evening due to brake failure.

NHTSA.gov is the website.

I did a search and found no complaints about the Ford Escape Hybrid's braking problems.

Look at this link: http://search.google.dot.gov/NHTSA/N...95.26&start=10

Can anyone point me to a link with the braking problems?

Here are the results of searching from this link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Make : FORD
    Model : ESCAPE
    Year : 2006
    Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Crash : No
    Fire : No
    Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10155907
    Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: April 9, 2006
    VIN : 1FMYU95H46K...
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
    Summary:
    I PURCHASED A 2006 ESCAPE HYBRID ON APRIL 9TH & IMMEDIATELY IT HAD BRAKE FAILURE PROBLEMS - ESSENTIALLY NO BRAKES. IT HAS BEEN AT DEALERSHIP SINCE APRIL 10TH. THEY CLAIMED IT WAS FIXED ON APRIL 22 & WHEN I WENT TO GET IT, SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED IN TEST DRIVE. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ELSE IS WRONG. THEY REPLACED THE BRAKE SENSOR, BUT OBVIOUSLY THAT DIDN'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE ESPECIALLY IN SOUTH FLORIDA, WHERE THE ABILITY TO PROPERLY BRAKE IS HIGHLY ESSENTIAL. *NM

Model : ESCAPE
    ODI ID Number : 10186417
    Date of Failure: August 2, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU96H26K...
    Summary:
    TL*- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 FORD ESCAPE. WHILE DRIVING AT 15 MPH THE CONTACT HEARD A POPPING NOISE WHEN SHE DEPRESSED THE BRAKES AND NOTICED THAT THE BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATED. SHE HAD TO USE THE PARKING BRAKE TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER, WHO STATED THAT THE WIRING HARNESS SHOULD BE REPLACED. THE DEALER CHANGED THE WIRING HARNESS. HOWEVER, SIX MONTHS LATER THE CONTACT EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. THE DEALER WAS INSPECTING THE VEHICLE TO DETERMINE THE REASON FOR THE MOST RECENT FAILURE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 16,900 MILES. *AK CONSUMER HAS INCLUDED MULTIPLE INVOICES STATING BRAKE SYSTEM WENT OUT. THE DEALER PERFORMED MULTI POINT INSPECTION AND PERFORMED THE VARIOUS TASKS: REINSTALLED SIDE FRONT PANEL, REPLACED HARNESS, ALIGNMENT OF FRONT END AND REAR, REPLACE UPPER STRUT BEARING AND BUSHING, BLED BRAKE SYSTEM. UPDATE *4/16TR THE ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATED. *JB

Model : ESCAPE HEV
    ODI ID Number : 10174426
    Date of Failure: November 18, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H76K...
    Summary:
    BRAKES FAILED FOR THE SECOND TIME. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN IN FOR THE BRAKE REPAIR AFTER THE FIRST TIME ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO BUT WAS TOLD BY THE FORD DEALERSHIP THAT THERE WASN'T ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE BRAKES. AFTER THE SECOND TIME THEY NOW HAVE TO ORDER PARTS WHICH ARE ON BACK ORDER IN ORDER TO MAKE THE REPAIR. *NM

ODI ID Number : 10188791
    Date of Failure: May 19, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H46K...
    Summary:
    BRAKE WARNING LIGHT AND SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM MESSAGE FREQUENTLY DISPLAYED ON INSTRUMENT PANEL (MORE THAN A DOZEN OCCURRENCES OVER 12 MONTHS). OWNERS MANUAL DESCRIBES THIS AS A DANGEROUS CONDITION. FOUR ATTEMPTS BY FORD SERVICE TO CORRECT AND ARE UNABLE TO DETERMINE CAUSE BECAUSE CODES ARE ERASED WHEN VEHICLE IS TURNED OFF(?). *TR

Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10162414
    Date of Failure: July 3, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H16K...
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
    Summary:
    NORMAL CITY DRIVING INITIATED FAILURE OF BRAKES TO HAVE PRESSURE. IMMEDIATELY BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ILLUMINATED. BRAKES MAY BE APPLIED, BUT RELEASE AFTER APPLICATION. INITIALLY, WHEN BROUGHT INTO FORD DEALERSHIP 11 DAYS AGO, PROBLEM WAS DIAGNOSED TO BE ELECTRONIC, BUT AFTER REPLACEMENT OF ELECTRONIC CONTROL SYSTEM FOR BRAKES, THE PRESSURE FAILS TO RESUME. *JB

Here we go again. The four (reported) vehicles that have this problem while the rest do not is beyond the expertise of readers of this forum.

In August 2009 while driving

In August 2009 while driving a 2008 company owned Ford Escape Hybrid, the warning chime sounded, "Service Brakes" flashed on the display, and I lost almost all of my braking power as I was coming up on a red light. Lucky there was no one in front of me because I was barely able to stop. Later, after the car was turned off, the brakes were magically restored. After doing a google search, I found that this is a common problem with the FEH. NTHSA will be notified. I hope they investigate and issue a recall.

I am probably going to end

I am probably going to end up having to take FORD to court over mine. Can you send me the full details of your story so I can use it if I need to? justindd at gmail dot com

Multiple random brake

Multiple random brake failures over 33,000 miles in a 2006 FEH FWD. No codes generated. One even with a Ford tech at the controls. We did not even shut the vehicle down, still no codes. The system seems to work fine when the car is turned off and restarted. Microsoft must have designed the computer programs Ford uses. Easily the most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven in 45 years. Ford has no clue how to fix the problem, each dealer treats you like an idiot, and the first to experience the problem. Check out the bulletin boards and lists, there are probably at least 100 different complainers. Kill your Escape before it kills you, it is a killer car, let the recalls begin!!! So when will the class action lawsuit. Sign me up as a Canadian participant.

My work is leasing me a 2009

My work is leasing me a 2009 Ford Escape 4WD. It has 2,000 miles on it. I have had multiple break failures. The light comes on " CHECK BREAK SYSTEM" there is a “ding” sound and the breaks fill like there is a booster failure. ( The pedal goes almost to the floor) I have had the thing towed to the local ford dealer three times and each time they can’t find anything wrong.