+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More on bad gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by davidprius View Post
    which octane did you use?
    I always use regular (87 0ctane). Also in response to the gentleman who suggested that Shell gas might help mileage, I just tried a tank of Shell and my city mileage DECREASED to 36 MPG from 38!

I think that the newer Priuses are much hype and confusion and reverse beeper noise and tire size complication that are certainly not worth about $4K extra!

And those of you who would call me an idiot or accuse me of not knowing how to drive are welcome to stop by. I will give you $10 and you can fill up with your choice of gasoline, adjust the tire tire pressure to your liking and test drive it for about 5 hours and show me that this car can get say 45MPG!
    Interstates and city roads are close by.
    Sincerely, donrim

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I was told that you have to

I was told that you have to get special tires for Prius cars. That is why you see the decrease in MPG. Can anyone confirm this?

I just got my 2008 touring

I just got my 2008 touring edition with 16" tires 2 days ago. After 140 miles (testing to see the mileage), I'm getting 48 plus.

Just filled up my 1st tank

Just filled up my 1st tank on my 2008 Touring. One bar left on the gas display... 320 miles. I calculated 37.25 mpg... the car's computer was saying 40.0.

How accurate is the car's display usually?

The car's display is

The car's display is extremely accurate, more accurate than manual calculations.

Shell 87 Octane gives the

Shell 87 Octane gives the best mileage (47- 50) on my Toyota Prius. I never got over 44 MPG before.

Shell 87 Octane is the best Gas for the Prius. Which I discovered by accident I was low on cash so I went for the cheapest grade but I was amazed at the mileage I thought it was the Shell Gas Station so the next time I put Shell 91 Octane but the mileage dropped back to 44 so I thought maybe it was a one time thing then I remembered it was Shell 87 Octane not 91 Octane so I reluctantly put Shell 87 Octane and was shocked at the result 47 MPG, and it was even better Stop and Go Traffic it went up to 50MPG.
    Paul

I have owned eight prius

I have owned eight prius cars. They all tended to do better after the break in period (20,000 miles). I found that all the cars performed exactly the same for me, around 52 mpg over all and 51 on the highway. I know there are a lot of variables. If you want to read suggestions from owners getting the best mileage, download the pdf here http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledg...a-mileage.html

I bought a set of Goodrich

I bought a set of Goodrich tires for mine that have a 70,000 mile limited warranty. The car sits a lot higher, and gets around 43 mpg vs. the 47 or more I had before. I did notice that the mileage went up or down some with tire rotations. I think that my higher mileage reading were due to the smaller tires as they wore out, since they turn more often, and give a false increased distance reading. I also noticed an improvement with Shell 87 oct. I have a 2005 model. My other car does better on Shell also.

If you look at rolling

If you look at rolling radius charts from Michelin and others, the revs/mile of the P195/55R16 tires are essentially the same as the 185/65R15 tires. This is because even though the diameter at the rim is an an inch different the lower profile of the larger tire compensates. So I don't think you have to change the speedometer gear. Anyway it is so easy to test on any interstate using the mileposts...

I have a 2008 Touring model.

I have a 2008 Touring model. With original Bridgestone EL-400 Turanza average mileage was 48.7 (combined city/hwy). On cross country trips (3000+miles) avg about 47 mpg hwy. On return had a problem with tires, manufacturer defect and Firestone replace with them with Bridgestone ultra high performance tire, Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, which have a higher load rating, speed rating, better all season tire according to tests. Only thing the tire is a 205/55/16. Only 1/3 inch difference in size, equates to 14 more revolutions per mile (about 740 revs/mile). Should not make any difference, but it certainly did change mileage. Now over exact same route to work I only get 41.7 vs 48+ mpg. Can't understand reasons but Bridgestone said I was getting bettter performance/load rating but may lose mpg. Any others with experience in changing tire size??