+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

16" tires on a prius/mileage

i just put 16" tires on my 2005 prius. diameter of 16" is less than 1/2" of old tires and appears to be ok to use. mileage has dropped from 48 to 43. anybody else out there who has tried larger wheels (16" or other) and had a similar experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Did you recalibrate your odometer after adding the larger tire? If not, your mileage computations will be way off.

how do you recalibrate your odometer?

I don't know. I know of people who have done it with conventional cars after lowering or lifting them. Its probably different for a Prius but you might check with mechanics who specialize in off-road modifications or tuners. Different size tires will throw the speedometer and the odometer off.
    Probably the easiest thing to do today is just measure your mileage using a cheap portable GPS receiver. It will give you both speed and miles driven - and pretty accurately too.

Quote Originally Posted by davidprius View Post
    how do you recalibrate your odometer?

You have a gear on the end of your odometer cable going into the transmisssion on a "regular" vehicle and when you change tire size, you also need to change the gear, hope this helps!!!

16'' prius wheels '07 model

I have a Prius Touring edition which has 16" wheels. My mileage is quite poor (38 to 42) MPG. Do you suppose that Toyota didn't calibrate for the bigger size. I'd like to blame it on something.

donrim

2007 Prius Touring

Quote Originally Posted by donrim View Post
    I have a Prius Touring edition which has 16" wheels. My mileage is quite poor (38 to 42) MPG. Do you suppose that Toyota didn't calibrate for the bigger size. I'd like to blame it on something.

donrim

I have a 2007 Prius Touring edition as well.
    My MPG from the first tank ( manufacture gas ) was really poor - below 40 - as well. After that, I switched to Shell gas, now I am getting around 45 and above ever since. I am on the 4th tank now.

There are folks on another Hybrid message board have done study that Shell gas is the most effecient for Prius. You might want to give it a try and see how it works for you. You may not see it right off, but after the 2nd tank Shell gas, you probably will see the difference.

Just a thought.

which octane did you use?

Poor performance & EPA changes their estimated...

Hello, I owned a Prius 2007 touring edition, I bought this car on May 31, 07, on july 20, 07 I visit the dealer for the first change of oil and explain to the service rep that my car only make 38 MPG on city and 43 on highway. Two hours later he show me the new EPA estimated and told me the car is ok. Here the problem when I bought the car the dealer mention the car has new improvements on gas mileage with 55 MPG (60 city and 51 highway), also for that the car has a markup of $5,000 more. Guest what the new epa estimated is 45 MPG. Just I want share this info for the moment...

Gas

I use Shell 87.
    So far, Woody - my Prius - is getting close to 46 MPG for the past tank.
    By the book, all the studies and researches have been done by other fellow Prius owners, Shell 87 so far is the gas that provides the best MPG performance for Prius.