+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hybrids

hybrids

Hi, I am new here, we have been looking at the mercury and the escape hybrids. I was really interested in them until I started reading the problems some are having. Now I am a bit scared to buy one. I own a pontiac vibe right now and it is a very good car. Just would like more room and good gas mileage. Having your car shut off on you and not being able to start it kind of worries me. We live in a small town and the nearest Ford dealer is about 40 miles away. Could get costly. Any comments? I sure like the ride and all the whistles and bells. hanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I assume you're referring to the "stop safely now" message and resultant loss of the ICE that a few people have experienced. Early on this problem seemed to confuse most service departments, but I think that is understood now and there is at least one TSB for this issue.The problem you are concerned about is usually due to either a bad electric motor cooling pump, bad engine temperature sensor, or corrupted software in the TCM. Overall, I think the reliability of the FEH has been very good, especially for a Ford. And, you have the benefit of three model years of experience when buying an '08.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    I assume you're referring to the "stop safely now" message and resultant loss of the ICE that a few people have experienced. Early on this problem seemed to confuse most service departments, but I think that is understood now and there is at least one TSB for this issue.The problem you are concerned about is usually due to either a bad electric motor cooling pump, bad engine temperature sensor, or corrupted software in the TCM. Overall, I think the reliability of the FEH has been very good, especially for a Ford. And, you have the benefit of three model years of experience when buying an '08.
    I agree with DesertDog. If you look at how many MMH or FEH are out there and being driven, the few posts you see here are a very small percentage. This is a great place to get practical and tested advice from experienced owners so when something goes wrong you will hear about it here.

So I agree that the MMH and FEH are excellent investments and will serve you well. With any car you run the risk of soemthing happening, a transmission dropping, a fuel guage busting and running out of gas, a tire blow, whetever, but rest assured that there are many happy owners of these cars and they would all reccomend them to a friend!

"Don't fear the hybrid" - Green Oyster Cult

Please do not buy this car until Ford addresses the break problems.

In the last 14 months my car has lost its brakes at least five times while I was driving it. The first four times occurred on small local streets very close to my dealer. Last week my daughter and I were on vacation. On Thursday I lost my brakes in the middle of the night on Rt. 80 in NJ with trucks whipping by me at 65 plus-MPH. We were able to safely get to the side of the road and coast to a stop. There was no accident and no one was hurt - this time! My car is still in NJ. My daughter started second grade today so I rented a car to get us home to VA. Ford has not been helpful in the least. The dealer in NJ still hasn't looked at my car. I called headquarters customer support and spoke with Jennifer Polk. She said they could not guarantee that the car will be safe to drive. She said all they could do was provide a warranty for the parts but they could not guarantee this would not happen again. This afternoon I checked the National Safety Transportation web site and there are several other similar concerns about brakes with the Escape. These are not safe vehicles and they had better get them fixed for real or off the road before someone is killed!

NHTsa.gov is the website

I did a search on this site for Ford Escape Hybrid and found no braking problems.

Here is the link: http://search.google.dot.gov/NHTSA/N...95.26&start=10

Can you point me to where the problems are listed on this site?

Here are the results of searching from this link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Make : FORD
    Model : ESCAPE
    Year : 2006
    Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Crash : No
    Fire : No
    Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10155907
    Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: April 9, 2006
    VIN : 1FMYU95H46K...
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
    Summary:
    I PURCHASED A 2006 ESCAPE HYBRID ON APRIL 9TH & IMMEDIATELY IT HAD BRAKE FAILURE PROBLEMS - ESSENTIALLY NO BRAKES. IT HAS BEEN AT DEALERSHIP SINCE APRIL 10TH. THEY CLAIMED IT WAS FIXED ON APRIL 22 & WHEN I WENT TO GET IT, SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED IN TEST DRIVE. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ELSE IS WRONG. THEY REPLACED THE BRAKE SENSOR, BUT OBVIOUSLY THAT DIDN'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE ESPECIALLY IN SOUTH FLORIDA, WHERE THE ABILITY TO PROPERLY BRAKE IS HIGHLY ESSENTIAL. *NM

Model : ESCAPE
    ODI ID Number : 10186417
    Date of Failure: August 2, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU96H26K...
    Summary:
    TL*- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 FORD ESCAPE. WHILE DRIVING AT 15 MPH THE CONTACT HEARD A POPPING NOISE WHEN SHE DEPRESSED THE BRAKES AND NOTICED THAT THE BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATED. SHE HAD TO USE THE PARKING BRAKE TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER, WHO STATED THAT THE WIRING HARNESS SHOULD BE REPLACED. THE DEALER CHANGED THE WIRING HARNESS. HOWEVER, SIX MONTHS LATER THE CONTACT EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. THE DEALER WAS INSPECTING THE VEHICLE TO DETERMINE THE REASON FOR THE MOST RECENT FAILURE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 16,900 MILES. *AK CONSUMER HAS INCLUDED MULTIPLE INVOICES STATING BRAKE SYSTEM WENT OUT. THE DEALER PERFORMED MULTI POINT INSPECTION AND PERFORMED THE VARIOUS TASKS: REINSTALLED SIDE FRONT PANEL, REPLACED HARNESS, ALIGNMENT OF FRONT END AND REAR, REPLACE UPPER STRUT BEARING AND BUSHING, BLED BRAKE SYSTEM. UPDATE *4/16TR THE ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATED. *JB

Model : ESCAPE HEV
    ODI ID Number : 10174426
    Date of Failure: November 18, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H76K...
    Summary:
    BRAKES FAILED FOR THE SECOND TIME. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN IN FOR THE BRAKE REPAIR AFTER THE FIRST TIME ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO BUT WAS TOLD BY THE FORD DEALERSHIP THAT THERE WASN'T ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE BRAKES. AFTER THE SECOND TIME THEY NOW HAVE TO ORDER PARTS WHICH ARE ON BACK ORDER IN ORDER TO MAKE THE REPAIR. *NM

ODI ID Number : 10188791
    Date of Failure: May 19, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H46K...
    Summary:
    BRAKE WARNING LIGHT AND SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM MESSAGE FREQUENTLY DISPLAYED ON INSTRUMENT PANEL (MORE THAN A DOZEN OCCURRENCES OVER 12 MONTHS). OWNERS MANUAL DESCRIBES THIS AS A DANGEROUS CONDITION. FOUR ATTEMPTS BY FORD SERVICE TO CORRECT AND ARE UNABLE TO DETERMINE CAUSE BECAUSE CODES ARE ERASED WHEN VEHICLE IS TURNED OFF(?). *TR

Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10162414
    Date of Failure: July 3, 2006
    VIN : 1FMCU95H16K...
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
    Summary:
    NORMAL CITY DRIVING INITIATED FAILURE OF BRAKES TO HAVE PRESSURE. IMMEDIATELY BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ILLUMINATED. BRAKES MAY BE APPLIED, BUT RELEASE AFTER APPLICATION. INITIALLY, WHEN BROUGHT INTO FORD DEALERSHIP 11 DAYS AGO, PROBLEM WAS DIAGNOSED TO BE ELECTRONIC, BUT AFTER REPLACEMENT OF ELECTRONIC CONTROL SYSTEM FOR BRAKES, THE PRESSURE FAILS TO RESUME. *JB

The question remains on why so few vehicles have had this problem out of the 20,000 vehicles sold in that model year is beyond the expertise of readers of this forum.