+ Reply to Thread

Smart Key - exiting car

I am picking up my new Camry hybrid and have a couple of questions about the smart key and exiting the car.

1. If I have fob in my pocket and I exit the car, does the car remain on? I assume it has to. So if I forget to shut off the car, when I park, do the doors autolock after a few minutes?

2. Is there a noise when you exit with the engine still running? Power switch on?

3. Can you get a plain wireless entry fob, the push the button kind, as a 3rd key? And if so is it cheaper than the $400 replacement for the smartkey?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

1. If I have fob in my

1. If I have fob in my pocket and I exit the car, does the car remain on? I assume it has to. So if I forget to shut off the car, when I park, do the doors autolock after a few minutes? My car has kept running when I walk to my mail box about 11 feet away. I have not tested it any further than that. You can change the auto lock/unlock door feature.
    2. Is there a noise when you exit with the engine still running? Power switch on? [Yes the car will sound a long tone
    3. Can you get a plain wireless entry fob, the push the button kind, as a 3rd key? And if so is it cheaper than the $400 replacement for the smartkey? I doubt that you could since the smart key is the only way to start car. That would mean you would use your wireless entry fob to enter the car then use your smartkey to start the car?? Ask your dealer?
    Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

exiting car

Pretty much, the previous post is all correct.

I usually leave my car running when I pick up the mail (handy I don't have to turn the car off to do that). As soon as I walk away a long tone sounds. Theoretically, and according to the manual, someone could drive off with it, without the key, though I haven't tried shifting out of park without the key. Though they would not be able to start it once stopped.

My husband was driving the car when I got out. He rarely drives it so I had the key on me. I heard the car beep as he drove away. He was at least 100 feet away when I called him and said he didn't have the key. There was a big ! on the dashboard but the car did not stop.

Whoops

My neighbour has a Maxima which must have the same kind of smartkey system as the TCH. He ran into the house for a minute (while the car was on), left his keys there, and then went on his merry way. He didn't notice until a half hour later that he didn't have his keys! His only option was to return home or get someone to bring him his keys once he stopped the car. Don't know if the Maxima has a big KEY IS NOT DETECTED indicator like the Camry.