+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MSantos View Post
    kchilton27:

Dr.Diesel is quite right about the tire pressures. Safely raising them beyond the often recommended pressure of 32 PSI is something that yields good fuel economy results.

For instance, I have a direct TPMS system on my personal HCH-II and I currently I run my pressures at 48PSI in the front and 46PSI in the read tires. My TPMS monitoring console allows me to also observe and monitor the temperatures on each tire as well, I've setup alerts on threshold values for both pressure and temperature. The funny thing is that with the reduced friction of higher inflation, we also reduce tire heat as well so it it not all that scary and the fuel economy gains are very substancial

Of course, I personally do not recommend that people run at those pressures at all unless they are confortable with the idea. Generally, we suggest for those people seeking good fuel economy to start with 40psi in the front and 38 in the rear for good measure. Then increase the PSI's gradually up until they reach what they consider a good balance between comfort and fuel economy.

On a side note: Many hypermiliers will tell you that tire thread separation and failure is more likely if the tire runs underinflated for extended periods of time. Slight overinflation lever really caused a failure unless the tire had a manufacturing defect or a compromise it its structure due to a previous tire puncture and repair. Heck, I know some hypermilers that are running their Dunlops (44 PSI max sidewall rating) at more than 55 PSI (almost crazy if you ask me).

Cheers;

MSantos
    Hey MSantos.
    Could you give some further info on your TPMS.
    Is it a factory unit installed on Canadian units or aftermarket.. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiesel1 View Post
    Could you give some further info on your TPMS.
    Is it a factory unit installed on Canadian units or aftermarket..
    Sure Dr. Diesel;

I got my system from APC which is absolutely identical in every detail to an "eBay sourced" second system I had installed subsequently on my recently departed 2007 Prius. Here's the link to the eBay model:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-MITSUBISHI-...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe I posted some pics of it at Greenhybrid some time ago.

Cheers;

MSantos

attn: msantos

Hey Msantos,

I went over to GreenHybrid.com and checked out the pictures section there to see your TPMS you installed. Pretty cool. Now i have some questions for you. haha

First one, how is your 4 port USB drawing power? From the 12V cigarette lighter? Where do you buy something like that? I wasn't aware USB ports could be in cars! Crazyness.

Second one, how hard was that solar panel installation to do?

Third one, how has that solar panel installation helped power your battery on your car compared to before it was there?

Lastly, how expensive are solar panels like that?

Thanks!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by MSantos View Post
    Sure Dr. Diesel;

I got my system from APC which is absolutely identical in every detail to an "eBay sourced" second system I had installed subsequently on my recently departed 2007 Prius. Here's the link to the eBay model:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-MITSUBISHI-...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe I posted some pics of it at Greenhybrid some time ago.

Cheers;

MSantos
    Thank you Sir.
    Greatly appreciated...............

Quote Originally Posted by kchilton27 View Post
    First one, how is your 4 port USB drawing power? From the 12V cigarette lighter? Where do you buy something like that? I wasn't aware USB ports could be in cars! Crazyness.
    The USB hub is a simple pocket model that can be bought in almost any computer store or on eBay. It was pretty inexpensive and is usefull when someone wants to charge their cell phone or PDA or iPod.

The Hub simply plugs into a "12V auto outlet to USB adapter". The latter can also be bought as a PDA/GPS/Phone accessory on eBay as well.

Second one, how hard was that solar panel installation to do?

Third one, how has that solar panel installation helped power your battery on your car compared to before it was there?

Lastly, how expensive are solar panels like that?
    The install was pretty easy. Once you find a good ground point in the trunk then you only have to run a single wire to the fuse panel. Make sure you use an inline fuse on that wire and that you provide a safe "quick" disconnect somewhere under the dash. The most time consuming aspect of this is the running of the wire to the dash - It helps to make it a clean job.

My 12V battery is now always topped-off. The positive secondary side effect of this is that the IMA charging process is now less prevalent - It occurs less often and in much smaller durations - if you have a scangauge you can actually see the IMA charging process intervening BTW.
    Before the installation, it was common for me to almost deplete my 12V battery (at one point I actually did). After the install however, the battery constantly displayed a full charge even in the coldest winter months which to many of us is well worth the cost of the diminuitive panel.

I bought a whole box of these panels (6 or so of them) for roughly $10-$15 a piece.

Cheers;

MSantos

i'm scared of winter now and my battery not being charged....

What is the benefit of having your PSI 2 less in the rear of the car?

What is the benefit of having your PSI 2 less in the rear of the car?
    Weight. Most of the weight is in front. The drive-train is heavier than the batteries and fuel tank.

How do these cars perform in the wintertime?????

How do these cars perform in the wintertime?????
    I live in Kalifornia....I`m sure they will do well here....
    The temperature extremes will have an effect on overall MPG, but the car itself should be just like any other FWD Automobile.