+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New 07Civic Hybrid ?s mpg/AC/etc

I just puschased a 07 Civic Hybrid w/NAVI I'm very pleased with the car. It had 24 miles when I drove it off the dealership last Thursday I now have about 430miles. I went through my 1st tank of gas and averaged about 38.5 mpg. Is that normal? Can I expect to get more? I have learned to drive the car better by reading some stuff online but I wanted to know if anyone that has over 1,000 miles wouldnt mind sharing what their average is?
    Also can anyone tell me why the ac stops blowing cold air sometimes..ie when i'm stopped and it over 100 degrees outside...anyone?
    Overall I think the car is great! I'll probably be doing simple mods ie darker window tint and HIDs. any good recommendation to get another accessories like oem floor mats or a bike rack? other than Honda site ofcourse
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I believe when the weather is extreme, like 10 degrees or 100 degrees, the IMA does not function optimally. I think i read that in the car manual. I'm by no means an expert though. I have only had my car less than a week. The MPG is also decreased quite a bit when the A/C is on FYI. That's just how it goes. I'm not sure why.

It`s my opinion as you drive your car you will need to learn how to properly maximize you mileage.
    If you drive it like a non-hybrid car, your MPG will not be that much better than a non-hybrid.
    It takes time and attention to gain better mileage as you learn new techniques.
    It`s also necessary to break-in the engine to achieve better MPG.
    Anywhere from 1K to 5K miles.
    And as kchiltin27 stated. Weather extremes/environmental condition will have a direct effect on MPG. Also be advised tire pressure has a major effect on MPG. I started out at 32 PSI when it was New. I bumped it to 40 PSI after the first tank and now I run 42 PSI.
    Mine started out at 43 MPG on the first tank. By the 5 tank I was able to achieve 61.1 MPG. All hand calculated.
    I started driving it normal and my MPG dropped to 50 MPG
    I now have an average of 52 to 55 MPG after learning how to maximize MPG and time trade-off`s.
    Your A/C pump will shut down when stopped for longer periods. This is why you feel the warm air.
    This is a normal operational characteristic. Using A/C will also cause lower MPG`s due to engine drag.

Dr Diesel,

So you said you bumped your tire pressure all the way to 42 PSI? Is that in anyway dangerous? Especially if it's really hot out? I guess the worst thing you could is blow a tire but...

How often do you check your tire pressure? Once a week? Once every 3 days? Once a day?

Is tire pressure one of the biggest influences on MPG in your opinion?

By the way 61.1 MPG is very nice!

Thanks

thanks that helps me alot! I do realize that the AC will limit my mpg in the summer but living in Vegas when its 120 outside i wont have much of a choice. I just have to deal with it for those 3 months.
    But yes i am learning ways the keep at mpg between 50-100mpg when i'm driving. it will be nice when i can average 52-55 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by kchilton27 View Post
    Dr Diesel,

So you said you bumped your tire pressure all the way to 42 PSI? Is that in anyway dangerous? Especially if it's really hot out? I guess the worst thing you could is blow a tire but...

How often do you check your tire pressure? Once a week? Once every 3 days? Once a day?

Thanks

kchilton27:

Dr.Diesel is quite right about the tire pressures. Safely raising them beyond the often recommended pressure of 32 PSI is something that yields good fuel economy results.

For instance, I have a direct TPMS system on my personal HCH-II and I currently I run my pressures at 48PSI in the front and 46PSI in the read tires. My TPMS monitoring console allows me to also observe and monitor the temperatures on each tire as well, I've setup alerts on threshold values for both pressure and temperature. The funny thing is that with the reduced friction of higher inflation, we also reduce tire heat as well so it it not all that scary and the fuel economy gains are very substancial

Of course, I personally do not recommend that people run at those pressures at all unless they are confortable with the idea. Generally, we suggest for those people seeking good fuel economy to start with 40psi in the front and 38 in the rear for good measure. Then increase the PSI's gradually up until they reach what they consider a good balance between comfort and fuel economy.

On a side note: Many hypermiliers will tell you that tire thread separation and failure is more likely if the tire runs underinflated for extended periods of time. Slight overinflation lever really caused a failure unless the tire had a manufacturing defect or a compromise it its structure due to a previous tire puncture and repair. Heck, I know some hypermilers that are running their Dunlops (44 PSI max sidewall rating) at more than 55 PSI (almost crazy if you ask me).

Cheers;

MSantos

I checked my tire pressure today (I didnt wait the full 3 hours) and all my Dunlop tires are at 45, except one tire. It was at 33 (front, left) I was pretty shocked and glad I checked up on them. Brand new car! I am going to keep an eye on the tire to see if it's leaking over the next week. If it doesn't, I may call my dealership to inform them that huge mistake on that tire! I didn't even notice it. Hopefully I get better gas mileage now. Right now i'm getting 41-42 mpg. When I do a cold check of my tires should I go ahead and reduce their pressures to 38 and 40 like you mentioned earlier Dr Diesel?

I said Dr Diesel at the end but i meant MSantos. woops

kchilton27:

Most folks advise adjusting your pressures when the tires are cold. I would suggest that is a wise approach.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by kchilton27 View Post
    Dr Diesel,

Thanks
    I have had no problems with these pressures and have heard of none to date.
    I check mine every month. The tire is rated for 44PSI.
    I run 40 PSI as a trade-off between tire wear and MPG.
    The higher pressures will have a tendency to wear the center of the tire.
    Whatever you set your tires at, keep an eye on wear and adjust accordingly.
    Yes. Tire pressure is one of the major variable factors of MPG.