+ Reply to Thread

Is Honda phasing out all hybrids?

this more of a general Honda Hybrid question. I am an owner of a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid, it is a awesome car, best car I have ever owned, but with Honda dropping the Insight and now the accord, they will only 1 Hybrid left and that is the Civic which is selling alright, but not like the camry or prius. Is Honda phasing out hybrids? They dont see as committed as Toyota.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oklasooners View Post
    this more of a general Honda Hybrid question. I am an owner of a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid, it is a awesome car, best car I have ever owned, but with Honda dropping the Insight and now the accord, they will only 1 Hybrid left and that is the Civic which is selling alright, but not like the camry or prius. Is Honda phasing out hybrids? They dont see as committed as Toyota.
    Many within the "channel" will say that Honda is as committed as Toyota to hybrid technologies. The difference between the two companies has to do with execution and strategy for IP portfolio building. According to some sources, Honda has yet to take advantage of their immense portfolio of technologies but that time will likely arrive soon enough.

Honda will continue to produce Hybrids but they will focus on large volume production of smaller vehicle platforms only (200,000+ per year) as they had already indicated back in 2005.
    According to them, Clean Dielsel powerplants represent the best balance and optimal use for larger platforms (Accord to Ridgeline), so expect to see a Dielsel Accord in 2009 (right after the 2008 debut of the new Accord model). Honda fanboys believe the company is positioning itself for an eventual Clean Diesel Hybrid, although there's been no formal indication through investor news released yet to that effect.

You are in good company

Cheers;

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by oklasooners View Post
    with Honda dropping the Insight and now the accord, they will only 1 Hybrid left and that is the Civic which is selling alright, but not like the camry or prius. Is Honda phasing out hybrids?
    I'm not too surprised to see the discontinuation of the Accord Hybrid. After looking at the wikipedia article for the Accord Hybrid, I saw that it was a 6-cylinder car with mpg estimates of 25 city/34 highway. The wikipedia article has these quotes: "Together with the Integrated Motor Assist, the hybrid version is a much higher performance car than the regular Accord." ... "According to Consumer Reports, the Accord Hybrid only averages 1 MPG better than the regular Accord in their fuel economy tests."

The Accord Hybrid seems like an unusual product. The Civic Hybrid (110hp) by comparison is less powerful than the Civic (140hp), while offering much better fuel economy (25 city/36 highway for the automatic Civic; 40 city/45 highway for the Civic Hybrid). I assume that someone who wants more power would be unsure that a hybrid vehicle is what they'd want. People who are seeking better fuel economy wouldn't see the 1 mpg gain as compelling.

(I obtained mpg estimates for the 2008 Civic and Civic Hybrid from honda.com)

I saw the same results...not

I saw the same results...not much better mileage for the Accord hybrid. Seems kinda pointless to me. Toyota has the same things going though with the Lexus hybrids.

I have a tough time understanding why people would want "power" in any car...I've always driven "grandma" cars that accelerate like a tank, and it hasn't ever bothered me...but I guess some people go for that. Seems a great way to waste gas and money though...and maybe make it more likely to get yourself killed if you have a lead foot.

I am not sure why you assume

I am not sure why you assume that Honda would be giving up on Hybrids? The Insight they discontinued back in 2006 because nobody was buying them. They only sold 2000 units in the North America in 2006 down from 2005. People were not ready for a 2 seater hybrid then. I wish they would bring it back now. The Accord has already been discussed and had various problems. It has been discussed on several boards what some of their plans are recently based on this press release from the end of May. If you read through this press release at Honda Corporate you will see that beginning 2009 they have plans for up to 4 hybrid models.
    http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4510

Edit:
    Didn't realize I was responding to a post that was a year old until after I did it.

hi dos any differentiate

hi
    dos any differentiate esteemed arabic website translator ?
    i wanna alter this page

http://www.s7ak.com/banatfun-f31.html - سحاق
    http://www.s7ak.com/banatfun-f31.html

thnx