+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MPG Tips

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    I do have the scangauge, which I purchased hoping to read the fuel pressure on a GM product, but no soap. The scan gauge is very cool, and I only had to walk two blocks from my house to buy one straight from the source! I do wish I had the nav system to see the energy screens, but I can't figure out if it can be easily added to an FEH that didn't come with it from the factory. The units turn up on ebay fairly often and only sell for around $350. Do you know of anyone who has added the nav unit to an FEH? Oh, and I have 71,000 miles on my FEH, so if you're noticing things at 37,000 I might be also. Also, I would like to add a light indicating when the A/C compressor is on. Sometimes the ICE kicks on when I think I should have plenty of electrons available to continue in EV, but without the SOC indicator I'm never quite sure.

Thanks for all your contributions regarding improving FE in the FEH. Without it I'd probably be getting closer to the 24mpg that my wife gets when she (rarely) drives it.
    I've heard they are adding the Navi to the '08 at the dealership now, but I've heard of no one adding it to the '05. The ones on eBay have not included wire harnesses, GPS antennas, the 6 CD changers and the extra subwoofer wiring harness and two speakers that come in the '05. Face it, it's to late to add any of this to a '05 with 71,000 miles.

When I ordered my unit, the salesman tried to talk me out of paying $1750.00 for the navi. Glad I wouldn't listen and insisted on it. I got every option available on the FWD, and I'm glad I did.

As far as a light for the A/C compressor, you can hear it click on for battery cooling, and it stays on in the '05 manual cabin climate control A/C settings.You don't need a light IMHO if you know how the system works.

Happy to help you and everyone else improve their mileage. I just entered the MPG Challenge at Hybridfest and hope to have it video taped by the person (Debbie Katz a great hypermiler) who is letting me drive her vehicle in the challenge. I'm spending a $1,000 bucks to fly and stay during the event July 20, 21, and 22 next month. Hope to see and meet everyone attending from Hybridcars.com. and other sites I post on. BTW, Hybridcars.com was my first posting site back in December of '04 when I ordered my '05 FEH. Many thanks to Brad for this great place to find information.

GaryG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

NAv System

I also would like to know about adding a Nav system if my MMH didn;t come with one. I would love to be able to monitor the MPG better than i am. I am getting about 27MPG in stop and go city driving with a lot of hills (pittsburgh, PA). I really think the hills kill me because when i am in a flatter area i can push the EV mode to the limit at around 35 mph. But as soon as a Pittsburgh hill comes, the ICE kicks on..it is frustrating, but 27 mpg is way better than my 13mpg Taurus we had and is great mpg for a SUV, all of my friends are jealous of the 27 mpg i get. At first they are like no big deal until i tell them it is city driving, then they are impressed. We havent taken a highway trip yet so i do not know what to expect there.

Thanks again for all of your expertise Gary!

Butler County FEH and hills

I just got a "new" 2005 AWD Ford Escape Hybrid this past weekend. Had to drive out of state and bring it back home to Southwestern Pa. I got between 30.7 and 31.0 MPG (going 65mph with the airconditioning set on the coldest setting but not max AC) going 65 mph on the Ohio Turnpike. I had the cruise control set for 65mph. It was interesting to note the RPMs varied between almost 300 and as low as 1500 going 65mph. This was true even for the little overpass hills I encounter and the significantly steeper and longer Pennsylvania hills. This was a reading from the scangauge instrument. Later in the evening, I turned off the airconditioning and "warmed-up" the temperature setting and my MPG improved between 33-as much as 34.7 on the scangauge. I have to admit I slowed down to 60mph later in the evening in an attempt to compare differences.

Locally, I also find the small inclines around here can cause the vehicle to start the ICE even if it is going slower than 20mph. That is a drawback to living in this area.

Mark, get a Scangauge to improve MPG, the battery level is only available with the navi. When my video comes out, I'll show people how to know how to push the FEH/MMH without the battery gauge. The video will show the battery gauge, but will also show how to know the battery level.

Billy, your '05 FEH is new, but it will soon be able to climb hills 25-30mph in EV. Mine climbs steep bridges almost everyday at that speed if my battery SoC is high enough.

Watching the RPM's is the key to great MPG, so practice keeping them down. There are many advance techniques to improve MPG to the mid to upper 40mpg, and I can manage the 50's on good days. Again, my video at Hybridfest should be here soon to see how I do it in city driving. There will be a highway driving video with the A/C on soon also. I want everyone with a FEH/MMH to enjoy the mileage I do every day.

GaryG

My wife and I have had our 2007 MMH less than a week, a very pleased with the vehicle in all respects an find this forum to be an excellent resource. One think that would be helpful though is a guide to all of the new acronyms I'm encountering. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwood MMH View Post
    My wife and I have had our 2007 MMH less than a week, a very pleased with the vehicle in all respects an find this forum to be an excellent resource. One think that would be helpful though is a guide to all of the new acronyms I'm encountering. Thanks.
    Go to this site where I wrote an article on Hypermiling The Ford Escape Hybrid
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...brid--350.html
    All the acronyms are highlighted with a yellow box with a question mark. Click on any yellow box for a acronym explanation. CleanMPG.com has solve the acronym problem that we have on all these sites.

GaryG

Hi All Got a PM question

Hi All

Got a PM question from another site regarding the use of cruise control (CC). Thought I'd post my opinion of how I treat CC in this thread at this site.

There are conditions I use CC because the PCM can control speed and RPM better than I can. The trick I use is monitoring engine RPM's, engine load and instant MPG on the Scangauge. Things like headwinds, hills and techniques like P&G take CC off the table for me. Good tailwinds where I must hold a steady state speed because of traffic behind me seems to be a good time to take advantage of CC. The steady state MPG test I conducted at 30, 40, 50 and 60mph in the article I wrote at: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350
    shows that there was very little difference in MPG with me or CC at those speeds. Most of the time I use P&G when no traffic and conditions exist to increase a steady state MPG. Of course, anytime I can shutdown the engine below 40mph I do. I P&G in EV every chance I can with traffic permitting, but I use CC in EV between 30-38mph as a choice because of rear traffic. Again, the PCM seems to do a better job with holding a steady state speed in EV and conserves the HV battery better than I can. In fact, at 30mph the PCM does a great job fighting headwinds in EV. At 30mph in EV, the FWD can takes some pretty hard headwind gust without kicking on the ICE.

Next chance you get driving without a headwind at 40-50mph (on flat roads), see how the CC can maintain a low RPM better than you at a steady state speed. At lease know you can relax while the HV battery is recharging for the next EV segment.

I

I