+ Reply to Thread

What kind of "oomph" for Prius w/5 people?

We are considering trading in our 2004 Sienna for a 2007 Prius. We used to have a Corolla and found that it didn't have quite enough power to get going, it was very sluggish.

We're looking at the Prius and it has 120 hp combine gas/electric; the Corolla had 126 hp. So we're now thinking maybe the Prius might not be the best option for us. Then again, maybe 110hp is enough to get the Prius going.

We have two adults, 2 8-year olds and a 2-year old in a car seat. Does anyone with similar needs drive a Prius? How does it work for you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Although they certainly don't tell you so, the electric motor gets its maximum hp (and torque) at zero RPMs or when you are starting up. This means that while your Corolla was rated at 126 hp, this was probably at about 4000 RPMs. At startup, you're probably only getting about 50 hp out of the Corolla. With the Prius, you'll probably get the full electric hp at startup as well as some of the gasoline. The net result will probably be a bit more zippy.
    I recommend you pack up the kids and the car seat and head to your Toyota dealer and go for a spin to check it out.
    Maybe others with similiar family compositions can add even more.

Quote Originally Posted by pyccku View Post
    We are considering trading in our 2004 Sienna for a 2007 Prius. We used to have a Corolla and found that it didn't have quite enough power to get going, it was very sluggish.

We're looking at the Prius and it has 120 hp combine gas/electric; the Corolla had 126 hp. So we're now thinking maybe the Prius might not be the best option for us. Then again, maybe 110hp is enough to get the Prius going.

We have two adults, 2 8-year olds and a 2-year old in a car seat. Does anyone with similar needs drive a Prius? How does it work for you?
    After selling Prii for 5 years and to many a different and diverse group I'll add this ......... The Prius should handle your needs well!!!! As X-EV1 driver stated ..... hussel everyone together and head out for a demo drive. If the Prius does not give you that feel good sensation fully loaded then try out the Camry Hybrid without the leather. That should diffinately take care of you.

Good luck and let us know which way you go...........

Well, I can definitely say it shouldn't be a problem. Reason why is that most everyone in my family is built pretty big. With my father, mother, and at least 75lbs in luggage, we took a 7 hour drive up to the north east to visit my siblings. Majority of it was highways, but the last hour was winding back roads. It performed great. I thought I would see a lag or drop in HP on the highway, but I was proven wrong. My highway mileage dropped by 2 mpg. There's also a trade-off on hilly roads. Going uphill, it sucks more gas. However going downhill regenerates more electricity. Plus you can glide and coast further without needing the gasoline engine.

2 adults + 2 Britax Blvd. + 1 Welsh Corgi

We just bought the 2007 Prius Touring + #6 package 10 days ago.
    The decision to purchase a Prius was really quick.
    Original plan was to get a Honda Pilot because of the 2 bulky Britax monster car seats. However, the gas price hike got me thinking and looking for alternatives.
    After brought 2 car seats to the dealership and test drove, needless to say, it's quite troublesome to take the car seats in and out, but it proved to be a wise move to do so. Prius happened to fit well with spare, we even have sufficient space for our Corgi. We didn't bring the twin stroller along to test out the cargo space but we rarely use it these days since baby has grown a bit and demand to walk on her own.
    Bring the car seat(s) and all the everyday cargo that will remain on your vehicle and go for a test drive. Plan for couple hours so that you don't rush. Don't forget, the sales needs to be in the vehicle as well from what I can tell, your spouse might be left behind and do the separate test drive.
    Good luck !