+ Reply to Thread

potentially purchasing 2004 honda civic hybrid

I'm looking for info on the 2004 honda civic hybrid. A friend of mine is selling his car due to relocation in which he will no longer need it for commuting. He offered to sell it to me. My local mechanic is informing me that the batteries are big ticket items and that I want to stay away from the hybrid. It has 45k miles on it. I'm looking for advice from online mechanic or experienced owner. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just a few questions that may perhaps help create a greater context.

- Is this a manual transmission or CVT equipped vehicle?
    - Do you have a history of its maintenance? If the vehicle's been serviced at a regular dealership then that history will clearly infer on the value of the car and the level of comfort you can afford.
    - Has it been subjected to any repairs due to accidents or floods, hail, and others?
    - Finally, has your mechanic received any training or certifications that enables him to be a subject matter expert in current hybrid technologies?
    - Also, regarding your mechanic: Does he have access to Honda's technical literature, videos and other channel information that would enable him to properly diagnose and service a Honda Hybrid with authority and the credibility required for warranty fulfillments? Can he sustain a technical audit ?

The 2004 still has a year or so for the major legacy components, and roughly 4+ year warranty remaining on the major hybrid components (of which the battery is included).

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks - my mechanic is an older ford guy who I truly trust with my american made vehicles however, I know he has not worked on hybrids. I've asked him to talk to his fellow mechs to find out more.

As for the vehicles history, it is a standard and my friend ensures all the routine and scheduled maintenance requirements are adhered to.

thanks for the assistance - I'm leaning towards purchasing it and checking on an extended warranty. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jk-z View Post
    Thanks - my mechanic is an older ford guy who I truly trust with my american made vehicles however, I know he has not worked on hybrids. I've asked him to talk to his fellow mechs to find out more.
    That makes a LOT of sense since he told "to stay away from the hybrid". It is all too common to find that type of advice from pretty good, honest and reputable mechanics. Fact is that the right "technical knowledge" is their only true handicap and it is natural for them to offer that type of cautionary advice. So I would not look at him in a bad light at all.

Now, this is not to say that he is totally wrong about the battery. By the contrary and for a totally diffrent reason, the battery should be an item of interest to you.
    Because the car has a manual transmission it is very important to have the vehicle service and ownership history at hand primarily because IF the car was driven for agressive fuel economy goals, then the battery is likely to have experienced more stress than the CVT equipped hybrid would.

Fortunately Honda has been very good in addressing this side effect and it has stepped in numerous times to pay (at least in part) for the battery replacement. That is why Honda no longer sells a hybrid with a manual transmission. So the fears about the battery are not trully justified for the majority of cases. Under normal driving conditions the battery should easily last the life of the car as per design.

Quote Originally Posted by jk-z View Post
    As for the vehicles history, it is a standard and my friend ensures all the routine and scheduled maintenance requirements are adhered to.
    According to your info, it appears this car is a good bet, and if driven properly it will give you awesome fuel economy. I recommend a visit to a good dealership for a good once-over just to make sure.

An extended warranty for a good price is an even better assurance.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks for the advice You provided me with very wise counsel!!!

SHOULD I BUY IT FOR $5000

SHOULD I BUY IT FOR $5000 WITH 150K MI. JUST HAD A$2000 WORTH OF AUTOMATIC TRANS WORK DONE. I DRIVE 3 MI TO WORK BUT MY 3 TEENAGE KIDS MIGHT LEARN 2 LIKE IT?