+ Reply to Thread

Accessory function?

I am going to a drive in next week and want to use the radio for the sound as i have done with regualr ICE cars. I was wondering if i put the MMH in accessory mode position if it will run down the High Voltage Battery? Does this function work differently than a regualr car. (Doesnt the regualr cars use the alternator to run in accessory mode?) I am not a car buff so i do not know.

This is from the MMH Manual regarding key position:

2. ACCESSORY, allows the electrical
    accessories such as the radio to
    operate while the vehicle is not
    running.

Thanks!

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    I am going to a drive in next week and want to use the radio for the sound as i have done with regualr ICE cars. I was wondering if i put the MMH in accessory mode position if it will run down the High Voltage Battery? Does this function work differently than a regualr car. (Doesnt the regualr cars use the alternator to run in accessory mode?) I am not a car buff so i do not know.

This is from the MMH Manual regarding key position:

2. ACCESSORY, allows the electrical
    accessories such as the radio to
    operate while the vehicle is not
    running.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Mark, in accessory mode you are using the HV battery through the DC/DC converter, so you can drain the HV battery. However, the radio should be fine to run for a long time. You can restart the engine every hour or so if you are concerned about the amount of drain. The normal operating battery charge range is 40-60% with 40% being the low side and 60% being the maximum charge. Once the battery drops below 30%, the HV battery will not start the FEH/MMH. There is a procedure in the manual to jump start the HV battery from the 12V battery with a button near the drivers side panel.

GaryG

My experience...

I had a company outing for which my FEH became the sound system. I was running my iPod, the Monster transmitter accessory, and the radio. My car actually went dead (and had to be jumped) after about 5 hours. When it went dead and restarted I realized that I had left the defrostiong blower on as well.

Make sure you turn off all cabin lights/headlights and any other car function if you want to maximize your battery time.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by ca_nimrod View Post
    I had a company outing for which my FEH became the sound system. I was running my iPod, the Monster transmitter accessory, and the radio. My car actually went dead (and had to be jumped) after about 5 hours. When it went dead and restarted I realized that I had left the defrostiong blower on as well.

Make sure you turn off all cabin lights/headlights and any other car function if you want to maximize your battery time.

-C
    Thanks! 5 Hours is a long time to run on battery power, especially when you had all the other stuff on. I was successful with my drive-in experience and plan to have many more! Thanks for the tip and sorry you ahd to find out the hard way!