+ Reply to Thread

Do the batteries lose their charge??

I was wondering if the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in the MMH will lose their maximum charge over time. I ask because i know my regular NIMH batteries for my camera will not hold a full cahrge after many many uses. Also, it seems that my MMH is apt to kick into ICE mode after about 15 MPH. Not all the time, but more than not.

Any advice is helpful!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    I was wondering if the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in the MMH will lose their maximum charge over time. I ask because i know my regular NIMH batteries for my camera will not hold a full cahrge after many many uses. Also, it seems that my MMH is apt to kick into ICE mode after about 15 MPH. Not all the time, but more than not.

Any advice is helpful!!

Yes, but it's not all about maximum charge. Ford designed the charging system to charge a maximum of 60% and a minimum of 40% so that the battery would last much longer than most nickel hydride batteries. In addition, they built in a cooling system to protect the battery from over heating.

As rolling resistance decreases with mileage, you will be able to get up to 30mph rather quickly. I'm at a point where I don't like to drain the battery with quick EV acceleration which drains the battery faster. That assist needle will come in handy as you learn about the charge/discharge advantages. You must treat electric energy like gasoline energy and spare both to get to where your going. Once you learn the system, you can drive with traffic speeds and get the mileage most dream about. When you learn how to get 70mpg out of the FEH/MMH, you can keep up with traffic getting 40mpg any day of the week on any road speeds.

GaryG

Thanks!

WOW, you are so helpful Gary. There should be classes localy for hybrid users. Or better yet, you should conduct an online hybrid owner's class. I think we all have a lot to learn from you and other experienced hybrid owners.

Thansk and i am trying ot learn how to get the most out of my hybrid and learning to operate it, not just drive it!!

Mark