+ Reply to Thread

Question on first purchase

I am in High School and I am looking forward to buying my first car. My question is this "Is there any type of HEV that I should specifically look at, or should I just look at a specific brand?" Also I would like to know if I would even be able to afford it off of a part-time job. I am graduating in a few months and I am looking forward to College as well. Do you think I would be able to balance it all, or should I wait until i graduate from college first?

My advice is: if you don't need a car, don't buy one. Hopefully, by the time you graduate from college, your options will be much better. We're at the beginning of a period of great improvement in the auto industry as the manufacturers reluctantly let go of thier Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) heritage and embrace the benefits of an electric drivetrain.
    They're kicking and screaming but each new model is significantly better than the previous ones and technologically, this trend can continue for a long time.

Thanks, I've done a bit of research myself and pretty much came up with one or two HEV's for cheap and effective, as well as noticing that this market is only truly opening up before our eyes. Heh, who knows by the time I graduate college there could be HEV's or even Hydrogen Fuel Cells that could get 100+ for mileage.

Don't count on Hydrogen. While you're in college, take a look at the thermodynamic effects in Hydrogen electrolysis and you'll see how you'll never get 100+ mpg with it.
    A hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is at best about 4X less efficient (well to wheels) than a Battery Electric, therefore, if 100 effective mpg (well to wheels) for a battery electric (not much of a challenge) is possible, then your Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle will only get 25 effective mpg.