+ Reply to Thread

Accurate MPG calculations

I was reading in a prior thread about the gasoline tank bladder...and that the amount of fuel you put into the Prius can vary. I did notice this with my new 2007. When I filled up with 6 bars gone one time I filled 6 gallons the next time I filled 4. If the amount of fuel you fill your tank with keeps fluctuating how can one accurately figure the gas mileage? Do you believe the computer on the consumption screen to be accurate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Regarding fuel tank blatter and MPG

I have found that the colder the weather, the less gal. I can quickly "fill" the tank; however, if I pull the nozzle out and slowly add more gas I can squeeze in another of at least a couple of gallons.
    Found that the total MPG on the monitor was higher than my calculations using a spreadsheet such as excel.
    Surprisingly as the outside temps warmed up with Spring, the monitored miles got better and were closer to those of my home computer calculations. The difference went from 2-3 MPG to less than 1 MPG.

I have a 2006 Prius and have

I have a 2006 Prius and have done mileage calculations on several occassions. Each time the mpg I came up with was exactly the same as that which was displayed on the screen. I do live in Florida and usually the weather is warm, so that may be a factor.