+ Reply to Thread

North Carolina purchase

I live in Raleigh and have been doing some research into getting an Altima Hybrid. Everything has been good so far. I've gotten quotes from a number of dealers in the NE. So far, the best I've gotten is 22.5K on the base 24.5K model. Not bad, I don't think. I talked to one dealer today from PA and he said that he couldn't sell to anyone that didn't live in a state that had CA emission standards or bordered on one. Obviously, this makes no sense at all, but was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this. The others that I have talked to did not think that this was a concern. Hopefully I will be able to go up in about three weeks to get one.
    Any advice or ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The price sounds good based on the quotes I've gotten here in MA. Watch out for the "prep fees" etc. which I just consdier a reduction in the discount, but dealers won't tell you about them. They run $150-$200 around here.

If somone pays more than $1500 off sticker, then they are probabaly not getting a very good deal.

Also, I think that Nissan may only be training dealer service people on the hydrid in those states where it is sold. So you may have trouble getting the car serviced in NC. I'd look into that. You don't want to have to drive to PA to get your car serviced!

FYI, edmunds.com is now showing ALL of the packages available. The Nissan website doesn't - go figure.

And since I'm guessing you've never seen an Altima hybrid, just the regular Altima - beware that the hybrid has maybe 2/3 the trunk space and no fold down rear seats or any way to pass through a long object.

I'm in Chicago, and here's what I know...

I've been looking into getting one too. GL is right about the training of the service guys. The service guys by me said that the training hasn't been brought to the local training facilities yet. They need a hybrid training car and they need a dude to conduct the training. So far, they've only had access to computer-based-training. If something happened to a non-hybrid part, you'd prob be able to get it serviced, but they still have to deal with working around the high voltage system, so even that could be problematic. Might be a good idea to talk to a local dealer and ask them "what if."

A part of me wonders if a Toyota dealer equipped to service the synergy drive would be able to handle it, since it's essentially the same (including the CVT, which apparently is different than the one in the standard alty)

As far as not being "allowed" to sell you a car, that's inconsistent with what the consumer affiars people are telling the public (although, to be fair, the CA people are also saying that it can be serviced at your local dealer too, so maybe they're smoking something completely magical).

I bet if you showed up with money and pointed to a car and said "you give me that, and I'll give you this," they'd sell you the car.

I wish Nissan would just go national with this thing already. Sigh.

i'm not sure about the not allowed to sell it thing, but it sounds like it's a load of crap since an MA dealer can sell you a car no problem. I thought that every dealer needed to atleast have 1 hybrid certified guy, but i forget where i read that. (would make sense because if i were going on a cross country trip and my hybrid system died, i want someone to be able to service it)

i think the deal is good (i got $1500 off for a tech package NAH) and there is a bigger gap between my MSRP - Invoice then the base model

I read on the Nissan site a warning that service outside of the eight states would take extra time right now. My NAH was purchased for 2209 under list, convenience package, floor mats and sill plates. I think it was a great price. My son also purchased one for the same price. Both bought in MA at Nissan Village.

Getting the car serviced was also a concern of mine. I think the idea about the Toyota dealership having the capabilities to fix an electrical problem is a good one, however, I doubt that Nissan would cover those costs during the warranty period. I'm guessing its just the risk I will have to take if I get one. I'm sure it would get fixed eventually down here, just might take longer. Also, maybe I'm not giving them enough credit and they could just "figure it out" and get it fixed relatively quickly. Either way, I think I'm going to go with the Altima. I think its the best deal around, and I like the changes to the body that they have done with the 2007 model. Also, I'm not too concerned about the trunk space. The giant glove box should be big enough to store my golf clubs. Any comments on colors? I think I'm going to go with the dark slate.

It would be a good choice I think...

hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by langjie View Post
    i'm not sure about the not allowed to sell it thing, but it sounds like it's a load of crap since an MA dealer can sell you a car no problem. I thought that every dealer needed to atleast have 1 hybrid certified guy, but i forget where i read that. (would make sense because if i were going on a cross country trip and my hybrid system died, i want someone to be able to service it)

i think the deal is good (i got $1500 off for a tech package NAH) and there is a bigger gap between my MSRP - Invoice then the base model
    Langjie - I just saw the following "Disclaimer" on the Nissan Hybrid website
    "Actual mileage may vary with driving conditions - use for comparison only. Altima Hybrid will be available in California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey. Service of hybrid components outside those states is limited and could involve some days' delay."

I hope they get that hybrid service training out there. Maybe call Nissan Consumer affiars, and tell them you're going to drive to California to show your LA buddies your hybrid, but you're worried about what happens if the high voltage battery dies in Chicago. They gotta get their act together. If they thought people would only be driving locally, they should have done a plug-in hybrid.

By the way, Langjie - I appreciate your posts both here and in the Nissanclub forum. Thanks for helping coach some of us newbies.

Not a problem. I'm just trying to help. If only Nissan would just release to 50 states already. They are already getting sales of 600 per month in 7 states. that would probably at least double if they went to all states