+ Reply to Thread

FEH '08 Engine Noisy?

Hello, Dogooders.

So I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now, as I'm in the market for a new hybrid. The contenders are the usual suspects; The 08 Escape and the 07 Highlander.

My main concern with the Escape is power and noise. Is it enough and is it too much?

I've test-driven them both, and so far, the Highlander seems to be the quieter of the too, in overall operation. Power-wise, of course, hands down winner. But I much prefer the look and mpg and lower emissions than the HiHy. I will be driving mostly in the city, (L.A.), and occasionally on longer camping/bike trips, so I'm not a driver's driver. Weekender, really.

Just wondering if anyone had anything to offer, pro or con.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stevenscott View Post
    Hello, Dogooders.

So I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now, as I'm in the market for a new hybrid. The contenders are the usual suspects; The 08 Escape and the 07 Highlander.

My main concern with the Escape is power and noise. Is it enough and is it too much?

I've test-driven them both, and so far, the Highlander seems to be the quieter of the too, in overall operation. Power-wise, of course, hands down winner. But I much prefer the look and mpg and lower emissions than the HiHy. I will be driving mostly in the city, (L.A.), and occasionally on longer camping/bike trips, so I'm not a driver's driver. Weekender, really.

Just wondering if anyone had anything to offer, pro or con.

Thanks.
    Hi, I'm looking at the '08 Highlander Hybrid because I need to pull my boat and the FEH/MMH isn't rated for that. If your looking for power, the FEH/MMH is good, but not something you'd want to put a I-4 engine through. My '05 FWD FEH is perfect for MPG if you keep the RPM's down. The electric A/C in the THH would be something to consider vs the FEH. If you need a hybrid now and can't wait till Sept. for the '08 THH, I think the FEH may fit your bill overall.

I gotta throw in that if most of your use is normal city driving you might want to consider optimizing for that with the Prius or HCH. A roof rack or trailer will enable heavier lifting for those occasional trips.
    Otherwise, between the FEH and HiHy, neither is particularly noisy. The FEH is a lot cheaper but the HiHy is bigger and quicker.

from my 1 week experience... I hardly here my 08 feh at all.... In fact it has a light to tell you the engine is running.... The only time i even here engine remotly from inside is if i Floor it. OUtside i can not here if it is electric mode. ICE engine is half as loud as my little cavalier.