+ Reply to Thread

Initiatives for more HOV Stickers in CA?

Does anyone know if there are groups or assemblypersons who want to increase the number of CA HOV stickers beyond 85,000. I want to petition for more. Does anyone else? Does anyone think there is a chance the CA Assembly would pass a new bill to approve more HOV stickers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I doubt it. The backlog grows every day -- there really is no "incentive" for people who already bought hybrids from January 2007 to now -- they would have to add 20K-30K more stickers to just take care of the cars bought between 1/2007 and the passage of the law (more if it takes months to do this). Then, they would have to increase the number for the new sales.

How About An Initiative to Make Lawmakers Look Good?

I was thinking about a new bill based on "giving back" to road construction or green technology research.
    For instance, what if the hybrid stickers for everyone cost, let's say, $180.00 per year when re-registering. 125,000 hybrids x $180.00 per year could go into road improvements/construction or "grants" for green technology...or funding to help those in the poverty level get cars that are environmentally friendly.

As far as I know the reason the number was stopped at 85,000 was to determine if the additional load on the HOV lanes from hybrid cars was slowing down the flow of traffic. Perhaps not all hybrid owners would wish to pay a premium for the privilege of using an HOV lane, but it may demonstrate to the democrats in the assembly that passed the bill(s) that hybrid owners recognize the value of using these lanes.

I think my rationale is "a reach" but I wonder if there is a better way to look at HOV lane use as we move forward. Three years is not a long time before the expiration of the AB 2600. Then what?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Rodhamico