+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When my Dodge Ram hits your Prius?

Heh, sorry about the inflammatory title but I've got a case of Prius fever and need some advice. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 2WD, 5.7L V8 extended cab and am enjoying an average of 14.5mpg. I like the truck but mostly it's just me, a dog, and a bicycle so it's *just a little* more vehicle than I need. It has 145,000 miles and is running perfectly.

I've become a regular NPR listener, a vegetarian, and now I'm thinking "Gee, I am sick and tired of giving unfriendly countries money for oil" and "I'm not a big fan of "big oil" either". (actually, I've even switched from skiing to snowboarding but that's another thread). So I'm thinking about reducing my oil consumption and greenhouse gas emissions (all in one "swoop")

Money is not a huge problem, I don't mind spending 60$ to fill up, I don't mind driving my truck longer, but I also can afford to buy a new vehicle. But I need some value...I guess I'm frugal at heart.

So I've talked this over with my wife and she said "you're not driving a little deathtrap like that, take my Suburban and I'll buy another one." Now it's an 02, 4WD, in perfect mint condition so that wouldn't be too bad really....

I'm a defensive driver, been called a "granny" more than once, never had an accident (I'm 38). But people get killed driving every day and if it's just a matter of dealing with 14mpg to improve my odds, I don't have a huge problem with that.

So my question is, do you guys feel any less safe in a Prius than a giant SUV? Is this a rational fear? Or maybe it is a small increase in risk but worth it. I sure like the idea of 45 mpg....that's 3X what I'm getting now.

Thanks for the advice in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

What happens when your suburban gets smacked by a big rig?
    Risk assessments should include your own capacity for defensive driving. The Prius is very nimble, and I have been able to avoid several accidents by manuvering out of the way. But I believe this is the training and self disciplie, and good fortune involved. From what I have heard, and seen, many accidents - getting hit by that SUV or 16 wheeler - happen when a driver is distracted.

Then again, life is duty and obligation, death, light as a feather, so live in the moment.

Got out for a test drive today and it was pretty nice, I didn't really feel unsafe or anything, the truck felt absolutely huge after driving the prius and the yarus. The thing could zip right along off of the line. I really really liked the energy screen-to watch what was happening. Probably was a bit distracted tho

Could you guys check my numbers here? I figure the prius will save 1500$ per year in gas and the old truck has been around 1000$ per year in repairs and big maintenance for the last few years (although it is running perfectly now). It'll depreciate a little but it's a '98 with 147000 miles (checked today) so maybe 500$/yr? The prius will cost say 25K but won't have any repairs for awhile. Think depreciation of 2K per year is about right? If so then the prius will cost 500$ less per year to operate, plus I have to pay 25K. Well, maybe 20K and sell the old truck. Heh, I'll have my money back in 40 years LOL!

But does it look like after gas, depreciation, and repairs I'd be a little better off?

Here's my take on the numbers check:

Assuming you use the same gas in your truck as in the prius, (regular), you can estimate your gasoline costs to be 8 cents/mi with the prius if you get fair mileage on the prius, and 22 cents per mile on the truck.

To save $1500/year on gas in the prius, you need to drive just a little over 10,000 miles per year at $3.25 per gallon. This is if you only get 40 mpg with the prius.

As for safety, the Prius has side curtain airbags and is less likely to roll over. It is rated "good" in all safety categories. It is not an unsafe car. The RAM is also rated good, but only in front-on crashes.

Having said that, if you are hit in a side impact collision by an SUV or pickup, you are 24 times more likely to die than the driver of the SUV or pickup. If you are hit by another car, you are only 1.5 times more likely to die. http://www.citizen.org/documents/PC%...20Proposal.pdf

So you are probably safer in the truck than in any car, including the Prius, but another way of looking at it is you are 16 times more dangerous in the truck than in the prius to others.

If this kind of safety is important to you, keep the truck. Keep in mind that you are more likely to kill others with it than in a Prius or any other automobile.

Before you make a final decision on the prius. Test drive the civic hybrid. Just bought ours yesterday and absolutely love it. It has a 5 star crash rating. The civic has Front airbags, side curtain airbags, driver and passenger active head restraints, ACE advanced compatibility engineering body structure and the list goes on. We traded our 07 ridgeline because of gas. In the ridgeline we were averaging 16 mpg, on the way home yesterday in our new civic we got 51mpg. From the dealership to our house is about 50 miles and the gas gauge didn't even budge. That made us feel relieved and sure that we did the right thing. Why make oil companies even more richer if you don't have to. But most importantly do what is right for you and your family. If you buy a hybrid just think of how much $$ you will be saving...not only on gas, but tires and on insurance...plus you get a tax incentive on a hybrid....honda civic hybrid tax incentive is at 2100.00....until they sell 60,000.

You could also get hit by a high-speed car chase, a big rig (as someone said above), or hit a deer in an SUV.

All I know is that I survived a fairly extreme accident in a Toyota Corolla without any injury. The car was totalled, since it absorbed the impact; I was fine.

The Prius has light-years more safety equipment than that old Corolla did. Besides absorbing impact, it's more nimble, it has optional curtain airbags (bet your SUV doesn't have that, and I had a friend who suffered severe head injury and minor brain damage from smacking against a side window), stability assistance, and in fact it's not all that small a car. The Honda Insight, now, that's small. Also, Toyota made the Prius sturdy -- so it doesn't get quite as good gas mileage as it might -- to keep it safe the way Camry and other Toyota sedans tend to be safe.

I say it's well worth it. I could of course get rear ended by a giant SUV. But so far, I've been able to stay safe, and it's SUCH a fun and useful car.

Personal Experience: Prius vs. Pickup

The Prius lost—it was totalled—but its three occupants were fine. What happened was the truck (an F250) stopped suddenly in the middle of the road to avoid one of those big orange construction barrels and the Prius rear-ended it, striking only the trailer hitch. The Prius driver (my 16-year-old) thought the truck was just slowing down, not slamming on the brakes, and did not begin braking soon enough. The truck driver (someone else's 16-year-old) was unhurt, too.

The anti-lock brakes must have done their job, because there were no tire marks on the road, either from the truck or the Prius.

The insurance appraiser showed me what was damaged and why none of the airbags went off. The frame behind the bumper was not crumpled, which is what triggers the airbags. The hitch is a solid piece of steel that bent the hood back, broke the bumper, and hooked onto the wiring harness. It also broke the intake manifold into pieces and crushed the condenser coils. There was damage to the radiator and fan assembly as well. It was only after those parts were removed that the worst damage came to light: a hairline crack in the engine block.

Weirdly, the headlights were intact. Oh yeah, and only the top part of the bra was torn.

After something like that, I feel pretty confident in the car's safety. If the kid had been paying better attention (and not following so closely), the accident could most likely have been avoided entirely.

Thanks for the comments and links. I didn't realize how bad cars fare when hit on the side by trucks, that's terrible! Maybe the best solution is fewer trucks, I'm not sure LOL! I've been thinking about it for awhile and I figure it's a small increase in risk. But my three reasons for buying a fuel efficient car (less money to unfriendly countries, less money to oil companies, and less damage to the environment) are a little stronger than my understanding of increased risk of driving a small car vs. my pickup. Heck, I ride my bike 5000 miles a year and when a truck hits a cyclist.... Anyway, I'm a careful driver, I've avoided having any accidents so far, and I think the "risk" is going to be worth it to me.

So...not to totally change the subject but are there any cars you can plug in on the horizon (like 2008?)

Thanks again for the comments and links

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
    Got out for a test drive today and it was pretty nice, I didn't really feel unsafe or anything, the truck felt absolutely huge after driving the prius and the yarus. The thing could zip right along off of the line. I really really liked the energy screen-to watch what was happening. Probably was a bit distracted tho

Could you guys check my numbers here? I figure the prius will save 1500$ per year in gas and the old truck has been around 1000$ per year in repairs and big maintenance for the last few years (although it is running perfectly now). It'll depreciate a little but it's a '98 with 147000 miles (checked today) so maybe 500$/yr? The prius will cost say 25K but won't have any repairs for awhile. Think depreciation of 2K per year is about right? If so then the prius will cost 500$ less per year to operate, plus I have to pay 25K. Well, maybe 20K and sell the old truck. Heh, I'll have my money back in 40 years LOL!

But does it look like after gas, depreciation, and repairs I'd be a little better off?
    OK,LISTEN TO THIS,if gas prices hit $4. to $5 a gallon,your prius will GO UP in value.That's right.Ther are case in california when gas prices started hitting $3 + prius could ,[if you could get one[prius] you would pay more than it cost brand new,by's as much as $5'000.The dealer said as they get more popular it might be harder to find them.And the safty of the prius is rated near the top because of all the steel in the roof,sides.You need to go by a dealer and pick up the book on all the wfeatures in them.With that I leave you with this,I LOVE MY PRIUS

I wouldn't count on any plug-in hybrids (PHEV;s) in 2008, actually. The major auto manufacturers are still dragging their feet on anything that doesn't get its fuel from a gas pump.
    As far as I have seen, the only new, freeway capable vehicle you can actually buy is the weird looking Myers NMG. Commuter Cars can build you a Tango. Tesla looks to be on track to start delivering their awesome Roadster this fall. Both Phoenix motors and Hybrid Technologies promise deliveries of their truck and SmartEV (respectively) in 2008. All of these are pure Battery Electrics.
    eDrive and Hymotion may have conversion options available for the Prius+ PHEV but I haven't seen any solid delivery dates. GM is talking about the Volt PHEV and some of the smaller Japanese manufacturers are talking about EV's as well but I doubt we'll see anything on the market this decade. The Zenn may get approved as a real car but I'm not counting on them.
    So, I'm still waiting for my plug-in.