+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Or you could buy a Toyota

Or you could buy a Toyota Yaris, or a Scion XD if you have a tight budget and want a very fuel efficient vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Your assumption that hybrid

Your assumption that hybrid cars are only for the richest 5% seems to be a bit off. My parents, both music teachers, got a Prius two years ago and love it. They consistently get 45-50 mpg, and with the way gas prices are and the amount of driving they have to do, the effect is very noticeable. They do not have another luxury car as your note suggests many people do, in fact - the Prius is their only car. I personally know several other people who own hybrid cars, and all of them fall within the hard working middle class category.

Clarification for the post

Clarification for the post above - it was meant to be a response to a note by TCosmos.

I am still waiting for the

I am still waiting for the day when I'll see a hybrid on the list of a donate a car program, that will be the day when hybrids will actually be affordable for the wide part of the population. That's the point with hybrids, right? Lower gas emissions and lower gas consumption, the wide population needs to have access to these cars to make a difference.

Yes, it costs more to

Yes, it costs more to purchase the hybrid version of a vehicle.
    Yes, it will depreciate more when the battery closing to the replacement point and the high price to begin with.
    Yes, it can use carpool lane in some states.
    Yes, it will save gas money, but you paid a premium price for it (to break even, you have to drive your hybrid ove 10years in average)
    No, the cost of battery is not guranteed to go down. No one has a crystal ball, so you can making a few thousand dollars gamble. If you are into gambling thousands of dollars, you should have no problem buying a hybrid.

As a lifestyle choice, there is no right or wrong. Heck, you can buy an electric car (knowing somewhere a coal electric plant is cranking up thier production even more and emitting more pollutants for your electric vehicle). It is still the right choice for you, becuase you will look cool in front of your peers.

If you need to use the carpool lane, you will save time. And time is very valuable, so it may offset the trade off (eg. high purchase price and low resale value). You can't deny the trade off. They do exist unless you are living a la la land. In that case, there is no trade off.

Reasoning is right, however

Reasoning is right, however I would think it over and consider buying a brand new Electric Vehicle. Less problems, full support and a tax subtracted.