+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Questioning the Re-Sale Value of Hybrids

I am thinking of buying a hybrid for the first time (either Honda or Toyota). The salesmen all tout "re-sale value" but this seems illogical. Even after disregarding the maintenance problems noted by previous writers about the Accord Hybrid, it seems logical that after five years a hybrid will sell at a discount to a regular vehicle by the cost of a new battery (which could be quite expensive to get a compatible battery at that time). And since you pay a premium to buy a new hybrid in the first place, the annual depreciation on a hybrid has to be more than for a conventional car. And who wants to pay several thousand dollars to get his five year old car up to a saleable condition by putting in a new battery system? Is my reasoning faulty?

How long should I expect a hybrid vehicle to last if my trips are typically within 40 miles before each recharge? Given the lack of moving parts with electric \"motors\", if I tend to use that portion of an electric vehicle to get around, shouldn\'t the vehicle last for at least several years, probably problem-free? Or do the batteries wear out soon? I might acquire a hybrid soon, or perhaps an electric (if the vehicle can go enough of a distance).