+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coasting

coasting

Is anyone shifting into neutral when coasting? I find that when coasting I loose speed rather quickly so shift into neutral, concerned this may damage the braking system or drive train by doing so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure if it does any damage, but if I'm correct neutral it "disengages" the electric motor so that regenerative braking doesn't occur.

However instead of putting your car in neutral, you can achieve the same results by using the glide technique (making it so that the arrows on your energy console disappear). Or if you're above 39mph you can apply the slightest amouth pressure to the accelerator so that it causes just the electric motor to propel the car by the littlest bit. I find that achieves the same or better results and only uses a small amount of the battery.

Hi,
    Make sure you're not in "B" mode.
    I find almost no speed bleed off coasting in approx. level road. It seems to maintain speed much longer than any other car I've driven.
    A thought, check for a "dragging" brake.
    Carl

Is a fuel milage gain of

Is a fuel milage gain of MAYBE 0.1 mpg worth doing something so stupid AND ILLEGAL IN ALL STATES?

I am getting 3 times the mileage of my SUV with my Prius ... and at least 5 times the mileage of a Hummer. My mileage is over 51 mpg average, driving the Prius the same as I drive my SUV. What's the deal with stupid ... and illegal ... driving?