+ Reply to Thread

Is VIP Alarm Worth It?

I bought my '08 Prius, Package 2, last week and added the V.I.P. Alarm system as an option. It hasn't been put in yet, but I'm wondering now if it's worth it or should I cancel the installation and get money back on that. Any opinions? Thanks.

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

So did you get the Prius

So did you get the Prius yet? I have a (I hope a 2009) P. coming with the pkg. #2 as well and didn't jump for the alarm 'cause every time I hear one go off I (probably wrongly) assume someone is trying to find their car in the parking garage.
    It's funny to sit in a mall parking lot wathcing peoples non-reactions to the bleeding sound of a car alarm. Must be some comfort for the thieves!

I got my Prius on April 23rd

I got my Prius on April 23rd and I'm happy to report I filled the tank for just the third time today. (And that was a freebie; the local dealer's way of saying thanks for filling out the customer satisfaction survey.)

I did end up getting the alarm installed. My fear was that it would be too sensitive and go off for passing motorcycles, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Good luck with yours.

Car alarms are based on two

Car alarms are based on two theories, BOTH FALSE:

Theory #1: Car theves are cowards who will be easily frightened and run away at the sound of an alarm.

Theory #2: When a car alarm sounds, the public will come running, capture the thief and bring him to justice. Or at least dial 911.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Ever!

The only theft device worth a #$%^ is the disabler. A car theft device that allows the thief to start and drive the car for :30 sec, then shuts the engine off. Leaving the thief in the middle of the highway in a dead car. That DOES tend to draw the public's attention.

Lojack works OK, if the police are willing to chase the car for you. Some major city Police Dept's will just tell you to come in the next day and fill out a report.