+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long Commute

Long Commute

With 120 miles round trip, 5 days a week, 90% unimpeded interstate at 65 - 70 mph, does a hybrid make sense? or is the hybrid payoff really in city driving and/or lower annual distances? (I've begun thinking about the nine years yet ahead of me, and considering a Prius).

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

A hybrid ABSOLUTELY makes sense. Disregard the nonensense the naysayers and ignorant say about hybrids not being better than pure ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) for highway driving.
    Hybrids are better than pure ICE for any conditions. The only possible (and I don't think it is likely) would be with a Highlander hybrid that still drags along a huge ICE in addition to the electric drive train.

It`s my understanding the Prius works best for city driving and the Civic is best for highway use.
    I have an 07 HCH-II. I drive 300 miles a day and get anywhere from 55 to 60 MPG overall per tank. usually 58 to 60 MPG
    I drive 63 to 64 MPH on the freeway and the speed limit everywhere else.
    I think it`s worth it for the long runs as well as city driving.
    My 2006 Civic EX could only deliver 35 MPG under the same exact conditions.
    Buy the Hybrid....Gas is only getting more and more expensive.

Thanks for your replies. I am now giving serious thought to the hybrid Civic. Planning a test drive next couple days.

DrDiesel1
    Well, I bought a 07 Honda Civic Hybrid. have been told by the dealership that I'll need 3,000 to 4,000 miles before fuel efficiency at its best. I have another 2,000Plus yet. Morning drive at 68mph getting me upper 40mpg, and the afternoon drive at 73mph upper 30s to lower 40s. I'm not sure why that should be? Drove instead, into Dallas yesterday morning for overall 60 to 65mph and it gave me 53mpg! I loved THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrock View Post
    DrDiesel1
    Well, I bought a 07 Honda Civic Hybrid. have been told by the dealership that I'll need 3,000 to 4,000 miles before fuel efficiency at its best. I have another 2,000Plus yet. Morning drive at 68mph getting me upper 40mpg, and the afternoon drive at 73mph upper 30s to lower 40s. I'm not sure why that should be? Drove instead, into Dallas yesterday morning for overall 60 to 65mph and it gave me 53mpg! I loved THAT!
    Dealers are full O crap. Yes after 3000 miles the eng is broken in, but you can get good mileage from day one.
    The higher the speed the less the MPG. 58 MPH is the max MPG speed.
    The freeway limit is 65. I drive at 64 one lane from the left. No problems.
    Also run your tire pressures @ 40PSI and check them every month.

Dealers are full of crap :-) but I wouldn't expect optimal mileage from day one. Today's adaptive engine controls tend to 'learn' the driver's habits and adjust timing performance accordingly. If one tends to strongly accelerate, or 'baby' it, it will adjust accordingly.
    3000 miles though is a ridiculous. 300 miles should be well more than enough for the controls to settle down.
    The speed relationship that Mrock reports is pretty much what I'd expect to see given the extra aerodynamic drag that one expects to see with higher speeds.

Thanks, and also input from DrDiesel1
    At 2,500 miles and driving very conservatively (in fact I just began trying 68 on cruise instead of 73 - What's a few extra minutes, right? on a one hour commute) AND inflated tires from 32 to 36 - I am seeing overall better mileage. Still disappointed thus far. This morning's 7:00 commute brought me 41, and yet the pm's return was 45. What gives with that? No AC in the am, and a little on the return. I wait until the car has warmed up and up to these speeds before I hit the trip odometer, because that's where nearly all the miles add up.
    Any thoughts?
    and, what are the concerns, if any, with tire pressure at 40? Decreased life of tires? Voiding tire warranty? Safety - less traction on wet pavement?
    Your replies are appreciated.
    PS: Do I need to continue this line of interest elsewhere on the forum?

Engine Performance....

Dealers are full O crap. Yes after 3000 miles the eng is broken in, but you can get good mileage from day one.
    The higher the speed the less the MPG. 58 MPH is the max MPG speed.
    The freeway limit is 65. I drive at 64 one lane from the left. No problems.
    Also run your tire pressures @ 40PSI and check them every month.
    ================================================== ========
    Maybe when Henry Ford was making ENGINES there was a Break-in Period..for this day and age I would do away w/Break-in Periods and concentrate of Engine Lubrication and Clean Burning Fossil Fuels(deposits)..
    If your ENGINE needs "breaking in" chances are good its only going to BREAK..
    First recommendation/READ your OWNERS Manual..and use the OIL Listed..except get a Synthetic..(I think MOBIL is best)..for the winter BLEND I would use a PINT of Marvel Mystery OIL w/Sythetic(plus)STP-the 4-CYL. Size..this was for a V-6 ICE..
    For a Summer Blend of Synthetic I would just use the STP-4-CYL. Size..I would swap these OILS in/out Filtering them and saving them in a SPECIAL Container(getting)20,000 From Each batch..every 5000 miles I would just un-screw the OIL FILTER and replace w/New and TOP up w/Fresh OIL..the savings can be added to other MAINTAINANCE Parts(Home Mechanic)..
    Later when I could no longer use the Synthetic Blends/I used then in my Garden Equipment..
    I owned a 1985 Pontiac 6000 LE s/w and in 100,000 I spent only $$400.00 on Maintainance(10-years)..Gas was $$100.00 per month..
    Hybids I am of no experiance on these cars(first Day in this Forum)..
    But lubrication is your first thought(NOT)Break-in..
    In my opinion/
    ..................There is no such thing as BREAK-IN.

1-Tire pressures 2-system "break-in".

I just got in from the Honda dealership (hadn't planned on going there for a while as it's too far away, but had to pick up my plates) where I asked about the "break-in period" and also tire pressures for my 2007 Civic Hybrid.
    The break-in is several thousand miles for the system to learn my driving style. somehow it then makes adjustments and am told I will see further FE gains.
    The Dunlop tires are rated 32 to 44. The service department says
    1 - all cars' MPG ratings are with the tests at the tires' upper limit,
    2 - you will see longer tire life if the tires are inflated even up to that limit, and
    3 - running with tires inflated at the upper limit is SAFE (important to me, esp in wet conditions) though HARD. I'm going to give 40 a try this week.
    My trip to the dealership involved Dallas, TX hwy and city mix. Thrilled to see 48 mpg at now 2,500 miles of conservative driving.