+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roof rack for Camry or Prius

We were considering buying either a Toyota Prius or Camry Hybrid but realized that we will need a roof rack for the spring and summer for our kayak. Has anyone had any experience with putting a roof rack on either one of these cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Yakima is the Best .... they have one built especially for the Prius when cuts down on wind resistance the best ....... You'll still be losing about 5mpg when using it but it's not a Perment Roof rank if you don't want it to be.........

Quote Originally Posted by TWQ83 View Post
    Yakima is the Best .... they have one built especially for the Prius when cuts down on wind resistance the best ....... You'll still be losing about 5mpg when using it but it's not a Perment Roof rank if you don't want it to be.........
    The rack temporary hooks to the roof...do you own one...how does it work? Where can I purchase one?

YEP ... Temporary system ...... http://www.yakima.com/Consumer/Step1.aspx

This will explain where to get one and how it works .......... approximately $300.00 US

I am buying an 08 Prius and

I am buying an 08 Prius and would like a standard roof rack not just one for a kayak. Anyone have a source and any comments. Ed

From what I've been able to

From what I've been able to find, Yakima makes the only (and best) roof rack system to fit a Prius. They look good, too. You're looking at $500-600 at least, I think, but if you're buying a brand new car then that's nothing. Besides, why take the chance with an off-brand that may or may not fit as well and may or may not be high quality? Go with the proven rack!

Also, they have a variety of

Also, they have a variety of options. Buy the "Q-towers" for $265, then you can attach whatever storage system you want. They have a basket if you want something cheaper and less obtrusive, but they also have a variety of cargo boxes. I don't work for them or anything, but their product IS the best.

For the record: Thule also

For the record:

Thule also makes an excellent roof rack system - - and has mounting posts for the Prius.

There are also several other companies making roof mounting systems for the Prius.

I have the oem roof rack on

I have the oem roof rack on my prius. It's travelling nirvana - we have one daughter, a large tent, lots of camping equipment and a dog! But it all fits with ease and travelling is cheap )
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_89u_lEORvd8/SJ...0/100_4241.jpg
    But there is still some noise from the roof rack when there is nothing on it even if it's custom made for the Prius

These previous comments

These previous comments mostly concern the Prius, anyone have experience with roof racks for the Camry hybrid. I've seen one on Yakima's website it bills as suitable, but wonder if anyone has used one.