+ Reply to Thread

Looking to buy 2008 FEH or MMH

Hi all,

I'd like some feed back for those of you who are Escape or Mariner Hybrid owners. I currently drive a 2001 Nissan Altima. I love it, but I would like an SUV for my dogs and 4WD for the snowy weather here. I average 24 mpg on my Altima. My commute is long (120 miles per day - 106 of those miles are highway - on the interstate).

I'm not sure if a Hybrid is for me as I drive all highway, but I would like an SUV. Do any of you think a Hybrid would get me better gas mileage than a Toyota RAV-4 or Honda CR-V?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kasstorr View Post
    Hi all,

I'd like some feed back for those of you who are Escape or Mariner Hybrid owners. I currently drive a 2001 Nissan Altima. I love it, but I would like an SUV for my dogs and 4WD for the snowy weather here. I average 24 mpg on my Altima. My commute is long (120 miles per day - 106 of those miles are highway - on the interstate).

I'm not sure if a Hybrid is for me as I drive all highway, but I would like an SUV. Do any of you think a Hybrid would get me better gas mileage than a Toyota RAV-4 or Honda CR-V?
    They made some nice changes from the '05 FWD Ford Escape hybrid (FEH) that I own with the new '08 model. You should be able to get better than 22mpg without a problem keeping at 70-75mph on the interstate. If you want to try a slower speed of 60-65mph, you can raise the mileage to around 24-28mpg.

A few like myself can do the 60-65mpg highway up to the mid 40mpg range in the FWD, but that's using hypermiler techniques like drafting trucks at a save distance back. But you can improve the mileage in any vehicle with those techniques. Example, I can get 24mpg and better in my '02 V8 Explorer with the A/C running on the highway.

The FWD does very well in most weather, but the AWD FEH is excellent off road and in the snow.

The hybrid version gives you more options to modify your driving habits and exceed EPA estimates than the non-hybrid vehicles. It all depends on the drivers needs and habits as to weather to go with a hybrid. Most people feel that the FEH gets very good overall mileage compared to the non-hybrid version of the same vehicle without modifying their driving habits. For this reason, I think you would be happy you got the FEH, but don't expect your going to get EPA estimates. I expected to get 30mpg on average, but I was getting 36-40mpg when it was new because I loved to drive it in electric at slower speed. Now I average 45mpg tanks with no big problems using a big bag of hypermiling techniques. Some use a few techniques and can keep in the low to mid 30mpg's, even in the AWD.

GaryG