+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

MY 2002 PRUIS HAS BEEN "IN

MY 2002 PRUIS HAS BEEN "IN SERVICE" FOR 10 YEARS AND HAS 95,000 MILES ON IT. AFTER GETTING THE POWER STEERING RECALL WORK DONE ON IT, I STARTED GETTING THE TURTLE SYMBOL ON THE SCREEN AND IT WOULD NOT ACCELERATE. THE DEALER CHECKED IT ALL OUT AND CLAIMED "NO PROBLEMS". AFTER DRIVING IT 5 MORE DAYS, ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS CAME ON AND WHILE DRIVING THE ENGINE RACED AND THE BRAKE LIGHT CAME ON (TWICE) WHILE I WAS DRIVING. TODAY THEY TELL ME I NEED A WHOLE NEW HV BATTERY PACK EVEN THO ONLY ONE CELL IS LOW. AM I BEING SCAMMED?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

no they are not right. My

no they are not right.

My Prius uses about $1300 year in fuel. I drive about 20,000 miles a year. If I did that in a "normal" car with 20 mpg I would use 1000 gallons of gas and spend (in Chicago area ) around $4200 year.
    In five years I have saved ....almost .... the cost of the car.

You wanna drive a POS and stop at the gas station twice a week - go ahead.
    My family loves the Prius and we LOVE stopping at the gas station 3 times a month.

I can swap out a battery pack every 5 years and STILL save more money than with any other car.

I was truly considering a

I was truly considering a hybrid, Prius or HCH. But after reading thru this forum, I can't see myself commit to buying a hybrid. For now I think I'll stick to my 2002 4 cyl Camry XLE (134K miles) that gets average 21mpg city-30mpg highway. She is practically maintenance free, except for routine oil change.

I'll wait a few more before I consider hybrids or electric again.

Thanks,

I drive an '04 with 167k and

I drive an '04 with 167k and the battery is still doing almost as well as new. It is a little slower to recharge on a familiar hill and my MPG is close to the as-new readout. I finally had my first tune up yesterday and I just got a P0505 code Check Engine light last week. (Non dealer mechanic says I have irregular idle from a worn throttle motor and i should do the black tape on the check engine warning. still thinking about that.)
    I have had very little to do to this car in all these miles, brake lights went out ($600), inverter cooling pump ( Recall ), and just did water pump/thermostat preventative. So I still feel very much ahead of the norm in repairs per miles. I would buy another one, and recommend one, based on maintenance alone!

Ahh.... The big battery

Ahh.... The big battery problem. One big reason I didn't get a Hybrid/electric car. I wanted something that got good gas mileage, wasn't battery operated, and could hold a ton of stuff.
    Soo, I got a Yaris 5 door Hatch back. I can fold the seats down to fit my bike and other big things I can't fit in a normal car. It's fun to drive and great on gas.
    I get about ~38-44 mpg on average city/highway miles.
    What does the Hybrid get? About ~40?
    And all for a lot less.

So far it's the best car of my life. Reading this makes me thankful I didn't get the Prius or any other hybrid for that matter.

I have a friend who has the

I have a friend who has the same problem and MAYBE it is the battery, I am going to ask this on another website

I have a 2006 Prius with

I have a 2006 Prius with 139,000 miles on it. About four months ago the Prius sat for about 10 days while we were out of town on vacation. When we picked it up at airport parking every light on the dash stayed on after we started it. We drove it home and by the time we got it in to the Toyota dealer we had put on at least 100 miles. All lights were off by then. Anyway, the dealer said the main battery needed replaced at a price of around $3,500.

It's been fine for four months but now the headlights and dash lights are dim. Calling around to various dealers we are getting many different scenarios, most saying that they've never had a main battery go out. A couple of dealers quoted almost $4,000.

So, any comments anyone? Any options other than spending $3,500 on a new battery?

My husband and I just got a

My husband and I just got a whopp'n $3,200 bill to replace the battery in our 2006 Civic Hybrid. We weren't tree-huggers, we just wanted to reduce my husband's commute by accessing the carpool lanes and reduce our monthly $360 budget for gasoline getting to and from work. There's been nothing wrong with the car and we've completed all the regularly scheduled maintenance. It's gone 160,000 miles, a convenient 10,000 miles over the extended warranty, but the battery simply gave up. !!! $3,200 !!!

Was it worth it? What did we really save? I guess in some conciliatory way the money didn't get into the hands of the oil tycoons.

Here's one for you... the car's NOT DRIVABLE without the repair. At this point $3,200 is nearly half the value of the car. That's the kind of expense you carry insurance for.

No hybrid for me! I got one

No hybrid for me! I got one as a loaner when my 2003 Mercedes (140k miles) went in for routine service. The dang Toyota couldn't get out of it's own way it was soooo slow (I nearly got killed trying to pull into traffic at a light)! My Merc gets 24 city and 30 -31 highway, doesn't need a new battery pack at 100k miles, is easy to find fuel for and has LOTS of power when I need it. It will go 450+ miles on one tank of fuel (I wish I could hold out that long on a trip - if you know what I mean LOL).

No - no hybrid for me!

That's awful, but I don't

That's awful, but I don't think you are being scammed. Did you replace it? Or did you sell the car?

My 2001 has 102,500 miles on it. A day or two after I got the electric power assist system recall work done on it I noticed that the emergency brake light wasn't going off when I released the emergency brake, but would randomly shut off during my drive, and sometimes when I was parked. Having just flushed the AC to make it work again, I put off going to the dealer WAY WAY WAY to long, and didn't bring it in until yesterday when the Main Warning Light came on. It turns out the emergency brake light was on because the brake acuator is leaking brake fluid and needs to be replaced ($1,750). The main warning light came on because one of the cells of my main battery isn't charging, and I need to get a new main battery ($3,350). These estimates seem pretty normal from what I have read online. Unfortunately, even if I do these replacements I would be pretty lucky to get even $1000 more than the bill if I sell the car. Last Septemb I also needed to change both front axle seals because they were leaking ($500) and replace the serpentine belt because it was cracking ($160). I feel bad getting rid of the car, but I think that is what I will do - there are still SO MANY things that could go wrong in the near future - some of the most common cost 1-3 thousand dollars to replace.

If you sold the car, I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell me how you went about selling a car that needed repair work done to be drivable.