+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid Recruitment (Turning Heads)

I'm just curious to see if any of you would be willing to share some stories about some heads you've turned. Perhaps a mocking friend who took a ride in the Prius for the first time and did a 180 on his opinion. Or maybe the uneducated co-worker who thought you just bought a car you have to plug in and replace batteries every year.

I still get playfully mocked by my friends and co-workers about my Touring Prius. I'm literally the only owner of a hybrid in a sea of around 400 cars in our parking lot (and believe me...I've checked). Recently, we went on a snowboarding trip after work. I insisted that we take the prius because it would save gas, emissions, and there was plenty of room. We were able to fit three people and all the equipment with room to spare. My aggressive BMW driving friend came back from the trip in amazment at its smooth drive, space, comfort, and surprising amount of power at highway speeds. He's been in the market for a new car and the Toyota dealership will be his first stop. Even if he doesn't buy a Prius...he was impressed by things other than mileage. I think that says a lot for the Prius and the direction it's headed. Especially for the ones who think the gas savings isn't enough to have them make a Prius purchase.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

My buddy worked at a BMW shop and made good money. When I asked him what type of BMW he'd recommend he said a Toyota. He said the repairs were too expensive and more frequent on BMW's.

On a separate point. My brother in law drives a crew cab long bed Chevy with a 8.1 liter engine. He actually called me to say he missed the trash man and had 9 bags of leaves he wanted to throw away. I went over there and put all 9 bags of leaves in my Prius to which he thought would never happen. They are now doing their thing in my compost pile. The smile on my face as I waved good bye was priceless.

My uncle has been "blessed" with his own business. Plus he just plain worked hard to get where he's at. He owns a Maserati, BMW, Mercedes, a GMC truck (not sure what model) and Toyota Prius. He drives the Prius more often than the other cars combined. He's Maserati is in the shop more often than it is in his garage. Both the BWM and Mercedes guzzle gas and can only be driven safely in the summer. The truck is for plowing and general "large package" errands. The point with all this is that he has enough money to buy whatever car he wants and he needed something comfortable and dependable for his everyday driving habits. With the exception of the Prius, all the other vehicles have made frequent visits to the shop. His input was a good sell for me when I first had interest in the Prius. I was able to confidently dismiss those who say it's uncomfortable, has high maintenance costs, and isn't a car worth counting on. I'm definitely happy I didn't listen to those people because my experience with the Prius has been spectacular.

May I what type of business?

Hmmm...guess it would be classified as the textile industry.

I enjoy going to the Farmers' Market and getting stopped and asked about my car.

The most fun was coming out of a drive-through a few months ago. I waited for a man on the sidewalk to pass before pulling up to the edge of the street, and he stopped and kept turning around peering at my car. I rolled down my window, and said, "It's a great car." He smiled and shook his head and said, "It's so quiet! It's just... silent!" I smiled and nodded. It was a busy street, so it took me a while to turn out onto the road, and he just kept coming back and staring at the car the whole time I was there.

Also, last week, I was in the gas station filling up next to another Prius owner -- there seem to be a lot of them where I live nowadays, although I had mine about a year before they became common -- and we got accosted by a guy who wanted to know all about them. We both sang their praises.

And today it suddenly occurred to me to make a Cafepress T-shirt/bumper sticker design that says, "Yes, I love my hybrid!" to sum it all up, since I've said it so many times over the last 3 years. So, well, I did.

I've found a sort of unspoken "hybrid-ship" amongst Prius drivers. I often see other Prius drivers smiling or waving at me as we cross paths. It reminds me of how motorcycle riders give each other the "thumbs-up" or wave to other riders.

got one convert!

Just got my '07 prius last week. My wife has already impressed a co-worker with it so much that she went out 3 days later, got pre-approved by Toyota financing and picks up her new Prius tomorrow.

I think this is very common....maybe Toyota should begin an owner-referral program and give us a kickback or credit with their service department or something...

Turning Heads

Back when I got the 2001 Prius, I got a lot of basic questions when (on rare occasion) I was refilling at a gas station. The most interesting questioning came from a Cab Driver. He had all kinds of question about the car. Unfortunately, he started his questions while we were both driving 50 mph coming up to the interstate ramp. The one direct effect i know of is a neighbor got a Honda Hybrid and an electric lawn mower. Now my head was turned by his lawnmower selection.

Over the years, the questions and comments have changed. Everyone has figured out that the Prius is just a regular car to operate, but a "statement" car no matter how quiet you are. What is really strange is the substantial number of people who feel obligated (guilty??) to explain why the Prius is not right for them. On the good side, the same people (other that the group below) fully understands why I felt obligated. [It really is detectable, the expanding understanding for changing individual consumption habits.]

The one group who has shocked me the most in terms of downplaying the Prius has been Toyota and Honda salesmen at dealerships. For example, when shopping at the Honda dealer for a Hybrid Civic, the salesman went out of his way to explain that the hybrid technology was not for improving gas mileage, it was for lowering pollution so the "Environmental Types" could have lower pollution. The Toyota dealers all seem to be baffled by my interest in the Prius. Specifically, I quote "...for the same amount of money, you could be getting a '07 Camry which has a lot more to offer..."