+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

We recently purchased a 2010

We recently purchased a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. My wife has just started driving the car this week and her neck and back are killing her. We had noticed the headrest issue on a Honda CRV that we test drove, and did not think the issue was as severe on the Sonata. I just turned the headrest around and told her to give that a try. Although, I do not know what the effectiveness in a crash would be.
    This is what we get when we have over-paid government pea-brains trying to mandate every aspect of our lives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I bought a Honda Civic

I bought a Honda Civic recently. I'm experiencing discomfort from the headrest, though I don't remember noticing it during my test drive before buying the car.

Since headrest position seems to be driven by poorly crafted Federal standards, and since one person (Junior Member) noted that the Japanese Civic looks the same except with different headrests, has anyone tried ordering headrests from Japan?

We have owned BMW X5 Toyota

We have owned BMW X5 Toyota Yaris, Honda Odyssey, and test driven Ford Flex, and Acadia. This forward head posture caused by headrest apparently exist in almost every type of vehicle out there here in US.

Just came back from a dealer after driving 40 miles with our new Odyssey, and my neck and upper back between the shoulder blades were blazing in pain within 10 minutes of driving. It's UNBELIEVABLE!

I bet the architects and drivers who test drove these cars have huge humps on their backs with major Forward Head Posture that they think this driving position is normal / comfortable. What the friggin heck! Had to go to our chiropractor to get my spine straigthened up again. Dagnabit!

No solutions for this at all? Any help? Advise?

We have owned BMW X5 Toyota

We have owned BMW X5 Toyota Yaris, Honda Odyssey, and test driven Ford Flex, and Acadia. This forward head posture caused by headrest apparently exist in almost every type of vehicle out there here in US.

Just came back from a dealer after driving 40 miles with our new Odyssey, and my neck and upper back between the shoulder blades were blazing in pain within 10 minutes of driving. It's UNBELIEVABLE!

I bet the architects and drivers who test drove these cars have huge humps on their backs with major Forward Head Posture that they think this driving position is normal / comfortable. What the friggin heck! Had to go to our chiropractor to get my spine straigthened up again. Dagnabit!

No solutions for this at all? Any help? Advise?

2 days with a just-bought

2 days with a just-bought 2005 nissan altima have given me the equivalent of a week's slouching pain. I'm glad to see it's not just me! I'm a 5' 11" female who can't put the headrest as high as it can go (or any higher at all) - it actually gets worse! I will have to try this 180 turn for tomorrow's work commute, since I wouldn't know the first step to try bending it without breaking it.

I tried the obus ultra forme

I tried the obus ultra forme backrest as recommended above and it has solved by problem. Amazon has it for $50.

I bought a Mazda 3 grand

I bought a Mazda 3 grand touring and as a small (5'2) woman have the same problem. It is driving me crazy and I'm a professional cellist who needs relaxed shoulders and neck for my job. I just ordered a small inflatable back rest from travel smith that may work. The Mazda 3 is called an "active restraint" and is even more forward than the civic. Putting the seat back makes the pedals uncomfortable so I did try turning the rest around but it is dangerous if there is an accident. You would think Mazda would design another head rest as an option! It does seem that moving your back forward would help, but the head rest is designed to hit under your left ear. Height it the problem.
    Any other thoughts?

I Have a 2010 Altima and

I Have a 2010 Altima and have the same problem. On long drives my neck and back ache. I turned the headrest around and it appears to be sitting straight, not leaning back as I may have expected. Ron 6'6 reported that <<the regulations say that front head restraints must be no more than 2.2 inches behind the occupants’ heads.>> so I will measure. My questions to what degree am I adversely compromising the safety, as there may be a safety comfort trade off, and is there a "Non Ghetto" fix for this? Here's another, how will reversing the headrest affect (if at all) the active head restraint system? BTW it would be outstanding if someone from Nissan engineering could reply.

Sorry folks for the

Sorry folks for the re-post... Ron's statement did not post on the first try...

I Have a 2010 Altima and have the same problem. On long drives my neck and back ache. I turned the headrest around and it appears to be sitting straight, not leaning back as I may have expected. Ron 6'6 reported that "the regulations say that front head restraints must be no more than 2.2 inches behind the occupants’ heads." so I will measure. My questions to what degree am I adversely compromising the safety, as there may be a safety comfort trade off, and is there a "Non Ghetto" fix for this? Here's another, how will reversing the headrest affect (if at all) the active head restraint system? BTW it would be outstanding if someone from Nissan engineering could reply.

My wife thought I was

My wife thought I was turning into Larry David when I was complaining about the head rests in our new Honda Odyssey.

I have a quick, improvement on the headrest situation - at least for honda odyssey owners. The front seat and middle row seats can be interchanged very easily. The front head rests are larger, and have a more prominent angle on them vs the middle row. Swap them out, and it seems to be a little bit better - a quick and very easy improvement.

Turning the headrest around, just wont work if you're in an accident. and bending the headrest tube... i can't imagine that will work - the poles are hollow, so I'm sure they will bend and become incredible weak if in an accident.