+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Hi Katy. I agree. The

Hi Katy. I agree. The headrests are horrid. I purchased the 2007 Accord headrests (put them in my '08) and they're better, but I still cannot sit up straight without my head hitting them. I was going to go to my sports physical therapist and ask his opinion, but after reading your entry I need not bother him. I have finally just turned them around and at least I'm driving without a neck ache. Do that many people really slouch forward all the time? We really do need to get Honda to fix this awful problem. I thought they would fix it in '09, but apparently they have not. Ouch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Thomas, I puchased my 2007

Thomas, I puchased my 2007 Accord head restraints from the Honda dealer. They're expensive. They do fit, and they're better than the '08 ones, but if you sit up really straight your head will still bounce off of the 'restraint'. Suggestion: order from the parts shop at the dealer, but request that you be able to install in your car (without removing the head restraint from the plastic bag other than making an opening for the rods to slide into the seat back) before you are charged for them......so you can make sure they will make enough of a change for you to justify the expense. Good luck!

I took delivery of an '08

I took delivery of an '08 Civic Hybrid on 9/1 and the headrest is driving me nuts! It won't stay fully down (the only position remotely acceptable). I'm going to try installing it backwards.

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic 3 months ago. Like everyone here and lots of other sites too, it hurt my neck and back. You don't really notice until you've driven a few hours. Just long enough so you cannot take it back. I was going to the Chiro, taking medicines and spent around $300.00 on cushions that worked, but I felt I could topple over if I took a curve too fast.

From what I understand all of the newer cars are like this. I finally solved the problem today and thought I would share what I did.

The Civic headrests have a slight curve on the metal rods, right under the cushion. I found someone to straighten that out ( the dealer actually) and now they feel perfect. If you can get someone to make those rods completely straight the headrest will feel much better.

Putting 2007 accord headrests (120.00each) also works, I tried them and they fit perfectly and were adjustable. The 2007 accord is the last year before they bent them forward.

Also if you find the seat to hard, which I did, A universal sheepskin seat from Overland Sheep company took care of that. 119.00.

I finally love my new car. Was ready to trade it in and take a loss before today though. Thanks to all who posted ideas. I tried most of them and this is what worked for me.

Sounds like the NHTSA has

Sounds like the NHTSA has decided to prevent neck sprains in those who have accidents by causing permanent arthritis in everyone. This sounds a bit like the 1st generation airbags, which saved unseatbelted, overweight, tall adults by killing children and seatbelted adults under 5'4".

Anybody found a similar

Anybody found a similar solution for Mazda cars? My Mazda3 is killing me due to the seat design.

???? ?????, ???

???? ?????, ??? ???? ????? ????? ???? ?????? ???????? ?????? ????? ?????? ????? ???? ?? ?????:
    ????? ??? ???? ?????

(???? ???? ?? ???? –??? ?? ????? ??????? ??? ????????!: <a href=http://www.tvbn.co.il>????????</a> (?? ?? ????? ???? ?? ???????? ??? ???? ?? ?? ?????, ????????, ???????, ?????? ?????,????? ????? ???

????? ?????? ??????? ?? ???? ???? ??????:
    ?????? C ????? ????? ??? ??? ?????? 29.90?? 100 ??????, ?? 79.90 500 ?????

We test drove at least 10

We test drove at least 10 different new cars in august of 2009 We had a head rest problem with 100% of them.
    1. Some cars you can turn the head rest around and get what you need. Other cars when you turn it around it give but end up with zero support and makes the regulations of US to guard against whiplash nullified - worsened by such a modification. We believe that US regulations to minimize whiplash is the reason for the forward bend of all current US car headrests.
    2. Bending the bars to the location you want might work however this may damage the bars/crack them or lessen integrity of the steal (break point during crash)
    3. Foam support when you turn it around. This may work provided can secure the foam support. When we tried various foam supports we found it very difficult to get the correct amount
    4. The best idea I found so far is to get head rest from a car built in 2007 and put them in my new 2009 car. This is what we are pursuing.
    I am having a hard time believing a US government agency did this. What in the world are they thinking. They left out the statistics in the decision regarding the people that remove the head rest because it hurts.

My wife that is 5'8" tall

My wife that is 5'8" tall and I drove a 2010 GMC Acadia and the headrest tilled my wifes head so far forward that see couldn't see to drive when she sat back in the seat. We looked at the Enclave & Traverse and they were the same. I then went to look at the new Ford Crossover's and found the same problem. I guess we will keep our 2008 Yukon until the wheels fall off. It's plain to see that the Government Regulations are telling most of us to not buy any new vehicles as they are just to uncomfortable to drive. What a terrible thought, the Government is now in the auto business, this should be good, what else will they mess up?

New Regulations The issue is

New Regulations
    The issue is believed to be so important that the federal government, through NHTSA, issued new regulations. In essence, the regulations say that front head restraints must be no more than 2.2 inches behind the occupants’ heads. They must also be two inches or more higher than the previous requirements for head restraints. NHTSA says these are similar to European regulations. The front-seat headrests in more than three-quarters of passenger vehicles built after September 2009 must meet the new rules. The IIHS has its own size requirements, but these are less restrictive than the government’s.

Those who complain about the restraints take no issue with the dimensional requirements: They point out that the restraints touch their heads or even push their neck forward. Those with grievances would be happy to have the restraints even a half-inch behind their heads. In addition to size regulations, the government requires automakers to certify that their head restraints pass a dynamic test. Also, the IIHS conducts its own dynamic tests that attempt to simulate the forces of a stopped vehicle hit by one of the same weight going 20 mph. Neither this, nor the government’s test, involves actually crashing cars. Instead, a seat is mounted on a sled that is accelerated.