+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I have a 2003 HCH with 110K

I have a 2003 HCH with 110K miles on it. And I too have serious issues with the IMA and check engine light turning on/off randomly, shocking, I know.
    At the end of December '09 the IMA light came on, so I took it to the dealer and they charged me a ridiculous amount of money to update the computer. I drove no more than 14 miles down the road and both the IMA light and check engine light came on. I immediately called the dealer but unfortunately I picked my car up from them at 4:55 PM and the service dept closes at 5 PM... sweet. I called the next day but they couldn't give me an appt. until after the holidays. The day before my appt. in January both lights randomly went off, so the dealer told me not to come in and that the lights probably came on because "the computer just needed to reset itself"... riiiiight.
    The lights stayed off for 3-4 weeks, and have been coming on and turning off randomly since. Usually they are on for 7-10 days, then turn off for a while, then randomly come back on. One time they were off for a whole month. Sometimes both come on, sometimes only one. I haven't noticed any difference in the car's performance whether the lights are on or off, so I've avoided bringing the car back to the dealers, mainly because I'm stubborn and angry. Now that my car is at 110K it needs an oil change, and just the other day the IMA, the check engine, and maintanace required lights all came on at the same time.... trifecta.

Any advice for what I should do? Continue to ignore my dashboard, which seems to have more neon lights flashing at me than a street in Vegas? Or take it to another dealer for the oil change & problematic lights?

Oh, and I almost forgot - if I drive for more than 15 min, then stop somewhere and turn the car off - when I try to start it up again after leaving it for any less than 1 hour, I have to rev the engine while trying to start it, in order for the car to actually stay on. Without my foot on the gas, the RPM immediately drops to zero and the car stalls.... anyone else have this ridiculous problem too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have to replace my o2

I have to replace my o2 sensor on my 2003 honda civic hybrid and saw you sell sensors for about $100. Do you have a website? I have only found it as cheap as $217

hello- I own a 2003 Honda

hello- I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid equipped with a CVT. it has 83k mi. A few months ago my battery went dead. I replaced it at the Dealers near by. A little over a month later my IMA light went on. i had to leave for a month and the car sat while i was gone. it's running fine, but of course the light is still on and the dealer is saying i need a new battery of the $3k variety. he is speaking to the powers that be about goodwill consideration since i am a few k over in miles for warranty coverage. he says they might grant it but require that i do other work on the car that they are recommending, like complete fuel system service and brake pads and rotors.
    questions:
    1- did the first battery dying or its installation cause the IMA to go bad?
    2- has anyone tried installing a used battery from ebay as mSantos suggested a year ago? if so, how do i know it's good and who's qualified to install it?
    3- could this be a faulty AC relay switch or a software update problem as others have suggested?
    4- as someone else has asked, can i drive without fixing this or is that dangerous in any way?
    5- can a dealership require you to get services if they extend a goodwill courtesy on an expired warranty?
    thanks all and hope MSantos comes out of hiatus!

hello- I own a 2003 Honda

hello- I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid equipped with a CVT. it has 83k mi. A few months ago my battery went dead. I replaced it at the Dealers near by. A little over a month later my IMA light went on. i had to leave for a month and the car sat while i was gone. it's running fine, but of course the light is still on and the dealer is saying i need a new battery of the $3k variety. he is speaking to the powers that be about goodwill consideration since i am a few k over in miles for warranty coverage. he says they might grant it but require that i do other work on the car that they are recommending, like complete fuel system service and brake pads and rotors.
    questions:
    1- did the first battery dying or its installation cause the IMA to go bad?
    2- has anyone tried installing a used battery from ebay as mSantos suggested a year ago? if so, how do i know it's good and who's qualified to install it?
    3- could this be a faulty AC relay switch or a software update problem as others have suggested?
    4- as someone else has asked, can i drive without fixing this or is that dangerous in any way?
    5- can a dealership require you to get services if they extend a goodwill courtesy on an expired warranty?
    thanks all and hope MSantos comes out of hiatus!

1) If installed correctly by

1) If installed correctly by a qualified hybrid certified mechanic, this should not be the issue. The IMA system is there to prevent any over/undercharging of the battery. It is its security in proper management.
    2) I would not suggest installing a used battery. You do not know what you are receiving. It may have tested well prior to install. However the problem is that when the battery goes, there is very little warning. If your spending thousands of dollars and do plan on keeping the car then get it done right. Have it done by a HCH professional. Warranty's alone are worth it.
    3) If the codes that turned on the IMA and Check eng. lights were related to those things then maybe. The most likely cause is that the Regular 12v car battery had died while it was sitting so long. This can reset the all of the setting in its ECM. The hybrid doesn't like to be drained completely and can cause a stressed charging situation to the main battery. Since it was drained from sitting I would suggest resetting the codes and resetting the IMA by removing the 5 amp fuse. This should reset all of its charging capabilities to factory settings. The vehicle will show about 5 bars of charging led's until the battery is full and then it should charge normally once this cycle is complete.
    4) Yes you can drive the HCH when the battery is bad and will not hold a charge. You will have the usual check engine and IMA lights and you will also have poor gas mileage. The HCH, unlike its competition can run even with a defective battery.
    5) The dealership can not make you do anything you choose not to do. However they can place restrictions on the continuation of warranty based on regularly schedualed maintenances. Basically they do not want you to neglect the vehicle mechanically and then come to them crying foul.

I have lived with my IMA and

I have lived with my IMA and engine lights on for many months, because the dealer cannot do anything to get them to stay off. I have been in Tampa Hondaland many times for analysis of the problem. Finally, last time they said I should just replace the battery pack to the tune of $3000. Sorry, folks, but the battery is working and charging well enough, and I don't have $3K to throw at the problem. These service people do not strike me as being very competent (or ethical), and I smelled an attempt to turn my frustration into a nice battery pack sale.

My 2003 civic hybrid with

My 2003 civic hybrid with 120K turned on the IMA and Engine check lamp. Particularly, the car cannot start up after sitting there overnight, a jump start will work. After start, the car performs pretty well, but with those two lamps on. Is it possible that this is due to the death of the 12v battery? Thank you very much.

Have you ever replaced the

Have you ever replaced the 12 volt? Those things are best viewed as consumables: replaced as a matter of course every 4 years or so, or you will eventually get stranded. If it is the OE battery you got a very good run out of it. Yes, a very strong possibility you need a new 12 volt, get it checked out. You can rough-check it's status with a decent digital multimeter, and more accurately with a cell-by-cell check with a hydrometer, but I'm guessing the simplest route for you is to get it to the dealership and let them diagnose.

Thank you, Mendel. I changed

Thank you, Mendel. I changed the 12V battery yesterday, now, the car started up well, and those two lamps off at the beginning but came back on after driving for a while. I may need to get it checked by the dealership. It's gonna be a disaster if turns out to be the bad IMA battery...
    Many thanks for your reponse, I will keep you posted.

I just took my 2004 HCH CVT

I just took my 2004 HCH CVT in to the dealer after the CEL, IMA, and Battery light came on. The car has only 41,000mi on it (VERY low mileage).

We had a similar thing happen about 6mos ago when the battery died and the CEL came on. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the 12volt and it was fine until now.

Got the call yesterday that they think it's the IMA battery going bad. Since we are under the mileage and the years, they are replacing the IMA battery for no cost.

Hopefully this solves the problem... I'm not holding my breath since it seems like no one has really ever RESOLVED the whole problem.