+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2003 Civic Hybrid check engine light and IMA light are on

I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem i am having. The other day my check engine light and IMA lights both came on. I took the car to the dealer and they told me I needed an update for my computer. I had the work done and when i left the dealer both lights were off. A couple hours later both lights came back on. Has anyone else seen this problem? Do the lights just need some time to reset?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JAvignone View Post
    I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem i am having. The other day my check engine light and IMA lights both came on. I took the car to the dealer and they told me I needed an update for my computer. I had the work done and when i left the dealer both lights were off. A couple hours later both lights came back on. Has anyone else seen this problem? Do the lights just need some time to reset?
    I would suggest that you call the dealer and arrange for a second visit. The engine and IMA lights are not supposed to come back on unless something else remains to be addressed.

Is your vehicle equipped with a CVT or manual transmission?
    How many miles/kms does the car have now?

Cheers;

MSantos

Buy a code reader and see whats stored.
    This way the dealer can`t lie to you and charge you over and over for the same problem. This would be a good starting point to learn and educate yourself for future issue`s.
    50% of the time the dealers are best guessing with your money anyway.
    You could do that and save the labor costs...
    This is not rocket science and you could save yourself some money in the long run....
    Think of it in terms of MPG....

MSantos, my hybrid is a CVT and I just hit 70,000 miles. I am going to arrange a second visit to the dealer. They closed right after they gave me my car today so there was nothing to be done about it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JAvignone View Post
    MSantos, my hybrid is a CVT and I just hit 70,000 miles. I am going to arrange a second visit to the dealer. They closed right after they gave me my car today so there was nothing to be done about it at that point.
    Based on your answer: Yes, a software update was in order for your vehicle. Would you know if they applied the software update to the MCM module?

However, there's definitely something else that the dealership forgot (or neglected) to look into... many dealership mechanics under-estimate the importance and depth of the service checklists issued by Honda and many times they do not follow the service bulletin updates for the Hybrid vehicles the are supposed to service. In their defense, very few of these mechanics ever service a hybrid and when they need to, their skills and experience are obviously lacking. So it is important to be patient with them.

Also:
    -When was the last time you've done a CVT transmission fluid replacement? And more to the point: how many times has the recommended regular service of the CVT been performed?
    -Just for giggles, would you know by any chance if your EGR valve has ever been changed as well? We've had reports of associative effects of a faltering EGR.

Cheers;

MSantos

Well, you probably have figured out what went wrong by now, but since I was in a similar situation I thought I would chime in. A few months ago both the Malfunctin indicator light (looks like a genie lamp) and the IMA light came on in my car. The Honda dealer ended up replacing the battery and battery controller as a result. I had just under 70,000 miles on my car at that point.

I am now having a simlar

I am now having a simlar problem but it occured after changing a bad battery. I'm going to go back and check the battery controller next, or will have the dealer check it since it is still under warrenty.
    got about 69k miles on this Honda.

COULD THIS BE ALL

COULD THIS BE ALL RELATED?

Hi all-

May 10, took HCH 03 in for standard 50,000 service.

Last week, lost acceleration on the highway. Had car towed to dealer, needed new clutch (which seems pretty early to me). Parts and labor (mostly labor) was over $1700, transmission had to be removed to replace clutch. Was told that not all of old clutch could be removed- there is a piece stuck in the electric motor (?).

Had car back for less than 6 hours, drove less than 10 miles and IMA, CEL and battery light came on. Drove it back to dealership where it got to sit over long holiday weekend.

Battery light comes on only when foot brake is used, turns off after acceleration.

Was told by my service tech that the computer spewed out 20 pages of error messages and that they have to have national reps be involved and this specific team has never seen a hybrid with these issues (though I see from the boards, this isn't uncommon). Was told that 3 sensors may need to be replaced- one is available, 2 are on national backorder.

I'm wondering if any of the work done in the past three weeks could have set this off? Between needing new brakes and the clutch, I've put in over $2400.

Anyone know if the sensors fall under the emissions warranty or are part of the battery warranty?

The other interesting issue is that my interior charger/adapter has been shorting out (5 times in last 4 months). Finally figured out it is from cell phone charger- Honda is aware- and its mostly Verizon chargers, but hasn't done anything about it.

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Basically, I'm trying to arm myself with all the ammo I can...

I have the check engine

I have the check engine light and IMA light on and I'm not quite sure why? I took it to my mechanic and he said that it is the IMA and that I should take it to the dealer. I have set up an appointment for next week.

But I have noticed that the car tends to lose power on inclines and is slow to respond. Could it be the spark plugs that need replacement?

I bought the car in January (used), the previous owner had the transmission changed and batteries. Might it be something else?

Is your vehicle equipped

Is your vehicle equipped with a CVT or manual transmission?
    How many miles/kms does the car have now? What year is it?